Christmas Eve

I wrote this story because today is Christmas Eve! Happy almost-Christmas! 🎄
----------------------------------------------
Another dark night had fallen over New York City. A crescent moon and a few stars glowed up in the sky that night, illuminating the snowy streets of the city and making the icicles and the frost gleam.

But that night was very special, not just another normal nighttime.

For that night was Christmas Eve.

All of the city's residents were cozy in their beds, fast asleep in their decorated home; in their dreams, they were awaiting the great holiday that would soon come to them.

And deep, deep down in the sewers, things weren't that different.

Splinter was putting his sons to sleep for the night. Which, on that particular night, was a very hard thing to do.

The four little turtles were bursting with excitement; their father had told them all about the Christmas holiday, about the celebrations people held, about the grand feasts and decorating of Christmas trees.

And, most importantly, he'd told them about the presents.

If there's anything a young one loves with all its heart, it's presents. And a young mutant turtle is no exception. Once they'd heard about presents, the four tiny brothers (especially Mikey) had been quite impatiently waiting for Christmas Day. Even Raph seemed excited for presents.

On that snowy Christmas Eve, Splinter herded his sons to their room. They wailed indignantly and protested, trying to get him to change his mind, but Splinter would not budge.

"You must get your rest, my sons," he insisted. "Every young being needs sleep. You four are no exception."

"But Daddy," Mikey whined. "We don't wanna go to sleep yet! Not tonight!"

"We wanna stay up 'till Christmas!" Donnie said.

"We're not even that tired," Raph added.

But Splinter could see that was a lie immediately. Raphael's green eyes were bleary and tired. His brothers' eyes were sleepy, too, and they were all yawning and rubbing their eyes.

"My sons," said Splinter. "I understand you are excited for Christmas. Every young being gets excited for this holiday. But if you do not get rest, how will you have the energy to do anything tomorrow? You would all be exhausted of you stayed up all night."

The four little turtles were quiet for a moment, like they were thinking. Then Leo nodded.

"Daddy's right, guys," he said to his brothers. "How're we gonna have the energy to open presents if we stay up all night?"

He turned around and climbed up into the bed and lay down. Donatello followed his lead, struggling to climb up but eventually making it. Raph crossed his arms for a second, then made his way up into the bed and settling down.

Mikey looked reluctant; he hesitated, but he eventually joined his brothers in the bed.

"Wise choice, my sons," said Splinter.

He walked over and tucked his little sons in under the bed's cozy blanket and covers. The four tiny turtles snuggled into the blanket's warmth, and their little heads sunk into their soft, plushy pillows.

Splinter leaned over and kissed the top of each little green head, like he did each night before his sons went to sleep. Mikey giggled a little as Splinter kissed his head, and Splinter smiled, patting his youngest son's head gently.

"Good night, my sons," he said quietly. "Sleep well, for you have a big day ahead of you tomorrow."

"Good night, Daddy," was the sleepy response.

Splinter grinned, then turned and left the room, quietly closing the door behind him.

And the four tiny turtles closed their tired eyes and drifted off into a deep, peaceful sleep, dreaming of sugar plums and holiday cheer all throughout the night.