Long Live The King

——————————————————————————————————————————————

The apes had done it. They had finally reached their new home. Finally free of the trouble and far away from war. Peace had finally come to them.

Caesar and Maurice sat themselves down on some rocks on a hill and watched as the colony entered and celebrated their freedom and their new home.

It brought a smile to Caesar's face to see his people happy and finally at peace.

As he sat there, finally relaxing, he began to feel the pain in his side from the injury he received back at the border. Suddenly, he slumped down. Almost as if he unclenched from his strength.

This sudden movement was caught in Maurice's peripheral vision. He looked over to his friend only to see him looking weaker than a moment ago.

It shocked him and made him turn even more to observe. He watched and followed as one of Caesar's hands went to a wound that was on his side, right under his arm.

Maurice grunted as he examined it. This wound was deep and far too bad for Caesar to heal from on his own. He pulled back his hand to find it stained with blood from the wound. As he looked at it, a heart wrenching, terrible realization came to light.

Caesar was dying.....

The orangutan shook his head, not wanting this. But his hand was taken and held by Caesar. He looked into his friend's face with a look of acceptance. He shook his head and comforted his friend.

"Don't worry......Maurice." He said, smiling lightly. You are..all..home now. Apes are strong... With....or without me."

That was a hard thing to even think of. Life without Caesar. The two had been friends for so long and now, to go on without him.....it just seemed impossible.

But the smile on his face and the pat on the arm Caesar gave him helped Maurice to reluctantly accept the terrible thing.

Turning his view back to the valley, Caesar looked down at his son, Cornelius. Who at the moment was playing with Bad Ape and Nova. It felt bad to have to leave his son, with his mother and older brother being gone. But he had faith that Maurice, Rocket, Lake, and the rest would look after him.

And his faith was reassured. Maurice looked  back to Caesar and he uttered the words. "Son...will know..who was father... And what Caesar...did for us."

It warmed Caesar's slowing heart to hear those words, and he replied with a nod and a smile as he kept looking forward.

Feeling the moment coming, he sat up straight one last time and kept his gaze on the beautiful land and his people below. Here they would live on. Here they would prosper. Here...his son would grow and become a strong and wise king.....yes.

Caesar closed his eyes and smiled one last time at those wonderful thoughts as a tear trickled down his cheek.

And now...it was time. As he slowly let out one final breath, Caesar gradually began to lean to his side, his strength leaving him.

As he descended, Maurice began to cry at the sight of his friend dying. "Caesar!" He whispered to himself tearfully. "Caesar!"

By the time he said his friends name a second time, the great ape had already landed softly to the ground. Free of pain, and at peace.

The sad orangutan hooted mournfully at this. He couldn't help himself. He'd just seen his friend die in fronting him. Yes, Caesar had died peacefully, but it was still hard for Maurice to grasp.

He hooted again, this time gaining the attention of the colony. All heads turned to the top of the hill and took in the shocking sight. Maurice sitting by their leader who appeared to be asleep.

And he was sleeping. But with this kind of sleep, Caesar would never feel pain or sorrow again. Unfortunately though, that very feeling was what his people felt as they mourned their fallen leader. The great ape who had led them away from bondage and terror. Twice!

He was gone.....it was truly, a terrible day for them....

———————————————————————

"That....was...a...sad day. My people lost their leader. The one who freed them and led them away from the bitter bondage of the humans. But I...I lost...my...father..........I lost the one last piece of family...that I had. After that, I swore I'd never thought I'd trust humans. EVER!...............

But.....I thought about Nova...my friend.....she..is human. But, she...is not bad....So, I realize...not ALL humans bad. And...thanks to Maurice, my father's best friend, trusted advisor, and a bit of an uncle to me, I now know..my father's point of view...on things. My father... fought to protect apes. He wanted peace between us and the humans.

And we had a chance at that...years ago before the vengeful ape, Koba... triggered a bloody war... that threatened to end both humans AND apes........

Even now, some four years later after that war ended, I wonder if there still is a chance for that life. A life of peace and happiness for both humans and apes............I don't know..... But...if there is a chance, then I must find a way to bring it to reality. That is what my father would have wanted....and that is how it should be...

My name is Cornelius. Son of Caesar and Cornelia. Brother of Blue Eyes. And I lead the apes now.

Though we may face..hard times....and miss our previous leader......my father's legacy...and hope lives on. And the reminder of him and what he did for us, strengthens us.

Together, we can survive. Together, we will keep living.

Apes Together Strong!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was a bit hard for me to write. I've watch War For The Planet Of The Apes multiple times, but the ending was always hard to sit through without feeling tears. I do wish that Caesar could have lived, watched his son grow up and become the next leader of the apes. But then, I got an idea for a sequel. One that would follow Cornelius. It's a little something I've been holding back on for a long time. But I feel as though there is still so much to tell, even after WAR.

But this is all I have for now. If you guys would like me to proceed with the story, let me know and then we'll see.

Hope ya'll liked it though. Til next time!