Chapter 6

"Maxie. Do you like Matthew more than me?" Mom was just a foot away. She wore a wavy black dress that engulfed her whole body.

"No mom. He's just nice, that's all," I yelled. But she wasn't listening. She started to fade slowly, "I guess I'll just go then."

No. Don't go. Please don't go.

"No!" I woke up in a cold sweat. Ever since mom left me here, I've only had nightmares of her leaving me for good. I turned around to see Matthew still asleep. I shouldn't wake him up. I looked around the room. The school supplies we bought last month were all at one corner of the room. We hadn't used any since Matthew wanted to teach me to sign first.

I got up and reached underneath the bed. We put the books there because we didn't have enough room for them all. I grabbed the first book I felt; To Kill A Mockingbird. I walked into the bathroom, sat in the bathtub, and started to read. Every page I flipped held a new importance to me. Every character, a new introduction. Every emotion, a connection I didn't know I could make. Hours later, it soon came to me that it was 5 in the morning and I haven't slept yet. I quickly got up and hid the book under my pillow. Although I tried to stop, the book was the only thing running through my head. But that night, and the others that came by, weren't nightmares of my mother.

They were dreams of the possibilities that could happen in a book.

~Hey. This was a short chapter, as were some others, but the next chapters will be longer. I post new chapters every Tuesday and Saturday.