Decisions

Natsuo lazily turns onto his back as the morning light shines through his window. He decided to sleep in, knowing the decisions he would have to make today. Although Togen Sensei's book situation had become a success, and he was excited about the new development in his life in the form of Rui's pregnancy, lately, something had been sinking in his chest. He covers his face with his hands, thinking of what had been eating at him the past few weeks. The apartment had been quiet on Saturdays like these without Hina around, but his nights were quiet and restless. His mornings felt empty, and calls from Rui had no longer been filling him with the same excitement as they used to. "I still love her, so what's the deal?" he pondered. The discomfort with his thoughts forced him out of bed, and he stalked into the bathroom, and stared at who he saw in the mirror. The stubble on his cheeks told him that he's really growing up, and things are about to get even more serious with the idea of marriage and parenthood floating around.

Yet, it was not this that bothered him. Of course, he never imagined things would be like this, but Natsuo had always wanted a family of his own at some point, so why not now, and why not with Rui? "I have to face this head on," he mutters to himself, now getting dressed for the bright day outside. With no script in mind, he entered the sun kissed world outside of his apartment door and headed out, trying to get out of his own head, knowing that tonight, he would talk it out with Rui, and things would be alright. 

"I'm still so shocked that your pregnant Rui! To think, my little sister," Hina exclaimed, snuggling Rui's face to hers in a strangle-worthy embrace. "Can you keep it down? I still haven't told Mom you know. Natsuo will be by in a little while, so we have a lot to talk about." Hina noticed her sister's signature pout, but not as it normally is. Her eyebrows creased as they do when she is upset, and Hina began to look down at her sister's slippered feet, legs stiff with dread. "I've never seen you mention Natsuo with that sort of attitude. Is something wrong?" Rui's glassy eyes look up to meet her big sister's. "Something is wrong Hina-nee" she whimpered, the former shine in her eyes beginning to flow like drops of rain on a cold, blue window. "Is it your tummy? I- Your baby I mean? Should I call an ambulance?" Rui stood has her Hina-nee gripped her shoulders as if for dear life, wearing an expression as if her world was collapsing right in front of her. "No Hina-nee, its me. It's just the past few weeks in New York, I haven't been missing Natsuo like I used to. I'm glad it's his baby and that we can share this together, but I don't think I feel the same about Natsuo."

Hina, although feeling tired from exhaustion resulting from the situation with the defamatory article about Natsuo, felt the need to cheer up her little sister. "You're just jet-lagged and hormonal, silly. I know all about pregnancy, just last week there was a special on TV about it, saying that you need to eat more soba noodles for a healthier baby." Rui looked up from her abdomen as she was knocked into her senses and chuckled at her sister's signature bright smile and silliness. "Hina will always be Hina after all" she thought. "Listen," Hina said, raising a finger, winking. "Why don't you and I go on a shopping date tonight? My treat! After all, we haven't been to the mall together since we were in New York!" Rui's face livened up, as she nodded to the idea. Rui may have been jet-lagged, and hormonal, but her feelings have persisted since Natsuo left New York.