Awakening

"Natsuo?" He stirred and looked up to see her, still and asleep, as she had been. He could've sworn it was her calling him, and he wished it had been. "Hey, Natsuo. It's almost 4:00 pm, why don't you head home for a while, rest up and come back?" said Tsukiko, with Akihito, and Rui following behind her into the room. Natsuo wanted to protest, but he hadn't slept properly for two days now, and desperately needed to shower, change, and eat. "I brought you some food, why don't you heat it up when you get home instead of having it here? We'll watch Hina, it's best that you get some air and rest up." "Thank you guys," said Natsuo, grabbing and nearly dropping the nearly 10 pound bag of bentos. "Wait, what the heck!?" He remarked "Oh-" Rui chuckled, "I made lot's of food incase we got hungry at the hospital, keep some at the apartment and bring some here so you don't have to worry about getting hungry!" "Classic Rui, already in mom-mode," Natsuo thought. He sluggishly walked back to his apartment, thinking about how long it was taking him to get back, in comparison to how fast he got to the hospital. 

He began to walk up the stairs, and began to wiggle the key into the door, when it swung open for him, as if on command. "NAT-CHAN!" The room screamed at him, as a sea of familiar faces lunged towards him. Natsuo, shaken and suddenly awake saw a room filled with his friends. Miu, Momo, Al, Subaru, Ritsu, Fumino, Hana, Miyabi, Mao, Ryuichi, and Fumiya, who opened the door tackled Natsuo, and showered him with love and worry. 

"Who the heck let you guys in, anyways?" Natsuo chuckled, to which Fumiya pointed to the balcony to find it empty, save for a few onigiri wrappers. Natsuo understood, and was thankful for Kuwana, and yet confused as to how he is considerate and cleans up most of the time, but is a slob on occasions like this. "Guess he had to make a quick escape," he laughed. 

"Thanks for the meal!" The tiny room was filled as everyone ate from Rui's bentos, as Natsuo shared the story of everything that happened, from Togen Sensei, to the article, to not being able to write. The room chimed with conversation, as all of Natsuo's friends, from school to university talked about all of life's developments. For the first time in a while, Natsuo felt clear and light. He was surrounded by love, and began to fathom how lucky he is. 

***

At some point, Natsuo had fallen asleep, and his friends had stealthily washed the dishes, cleaned up, and left a note, saying they should hang out again, next to Natsuo, as he drifted somewhere in the best sleep he's had in a long time. He awoke at midnight, and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and smiled like a child at the note. He had forgotten about the pleasure of friendship, and how great of a time he had with his buddies he's encountered on his path of life. He got up and headed back to the hospital under the buzz of streetlights, and the occasional car. He didn't usually go out this late, but admired the dew on the grass, it was as if the world was in a state of rebirth and renewal. While humans closed their eyes, another world awakened, in their dreams, and outside as well. He admired the crisp air as he walked in, and pressed the elevator button for the fourth floor. 

Rui was sleeping similar to how Natsuo was earlier, on her hands next to Hina's waist. He quietly situated himself on the couch and laid down. He couldn't imagine spending the whole night away from Hina. He tossed and turned for what felt like an eternity, until Rui woke him the next day. "I'm really feeling tired Natsuo, do you think you'll be okay? the clock read noon. Natsuo was alarmed at how destroyed his schedule was, but it was nothing compared to what it meant to him to be by Hina's side after everything she had done for him. "I got it," he smiled and nodded. 

***

The leaves had begun to change color. The festival celebrating the Autumnal Equinox was coming up, and Natsuo spent the summer months by Hina's side. When it came to exercising her body and making sure Hina's IV's were in check, Natsuo had made it his duty, and his patience never wavered. Yet, his mind began to wander now, University would start soon and he would have to spend less time with Hina. The thought made his heart clench in his chest. These thoughts drove him crazy as he wondered why Hina wouldn't wake up. He took out the rings he carried everywhere and put his on, and put Hina's in her hand, and closed it. "It's up to you now Hina," he said defeatedly. "Please, wake up so I can be with you. please-" he sobbed into her comforter as he fell asleep, as he almost always did, by her side.

***

Many times, the answers to our prayers feel like they take forever to come our way. Sometimes we get answers to things we never prayed for. Somethings wait for the right time to bring themselves our way. But there is one truth, that something that is meant to be yours, will never not be yours. It will find it's way to you, somehow, someway. Whether it be something, some place, or someone. 

"Natsuo-kun?" Natsuo felt his dream ebb away like ink into white paper. He did not want to wake up. "Natsuo-kun?" He looked towards the door, "Yes?"

"Can you help me up please? I- I have to use the bathroom"

Natsuo jerked his head away from the door and found himself face to face with Hina's emerald eyes glowing back it him, clear as day. 

"Hina-nee?"

Natsuo's eyes flooded as he held Hina in his arms, how a child holds their favorite blanket. "Hina-nee I- I really missed you, Hina-nee," he whimpered into her shoulder between hiccuping breaths. Hina began to cry as well. "Natsuo-kun, you missed me? how long has it been? What day is it?"

"These past 2 months have been an eternity, Hina-nee."

***

"This is all such a blur, I can't believe all that happened so long ago, and I've been out since then. This is a lot to take in," Hina remarked, in the now full Fujii home, with all it's members present after what seemed like forever. The family talked the night away, ate, laughed, cried, and easily filled 2 months worth of memories within a mere few hours. It was as if nothing had ever carried them apart. "Make sure you two turn the lights off," remarked Tsukiko, as she joined Akihito in bed after a joyous day. Rui got up as well, "I'll be going too Hina-nee. I have to get up early tomorrow to head to the restaurant, try and drop by for lunch if you feel up to it!" "Heck yeah!" Hina nodded with excitement. "After these two months, I could eat a horse!" she laughed, and Rui burst into laughter as well, before heading out into the hall to her room. 

"Just like old times, right Hina-nee?" 

"Yeah, it really is," Hina smiled, looking at her lap.

"Hina-nee, I need to tell you something- Mr. Kobayashi- He told me everything, I-"

"Well that's embarrassing!" said Hina, sticking out her tongue and rubbing the back of her head. "I sure hope he didn't tell you too mu-"

"Everything, Hina-nee." 

"I see."

They gazed at eachother in silence. Their feelings from years before had never changed. Natsuo and Hina were entranced by one another, and just kept looking at eachother.

"I've talked to Rui, and our feelings about eachother are mutual Hina-nee. I will fulfill my responsibilities as a father, and as a co-parent with Rui, but romantically, I am not involved with anyone. I wish to give my all to you, Hina-nee, as you have been doing for me," he said standing.

Hina caught a glimpse of silver steel on his finger before he hid his hand behind his back.

"Natsuo-kun, is that a ring? is it?"

"It's the one with our initials," he smiled. Hina's smile beamed back at him, "why don't I wear mine too then?"

Natsuo was clearly befuddled. Where was Hina's ring?

Hina pulled it out of her pocket and put it on her finger. "Are you the one who put this in my hand Natsuo-kun?" 

He nodded as he burst into tears, embracing her as if it were for the last time. They held eachother for hours, with Hina sitting on the sofa and Natsuo hugging her waist, thankful that they were simply in the same room, talking, and together again.

"Hina? if you want to... Will you marry me?"

Hina covered her mouth, and smiled with teary eyes, as they held each other till the sun rose once again.