Dawn

Natsuo woke up around 11:00 am on the sofa in Hina's room, back aching, neck cramping. Yet, he felt it was worth it, after all, Hina meant the world to him. He opened his hand to a numb feeling, the warm metal of the rings left an indent, as he seemed to have been clutching them tightly in his sleep. He went out to the waiting room to grab some coffee. He walked into a strange sight: Mr. Kobayashi in his trademark work uniform, shirt unbuttoned, showing off his chiseled physique and tribal yakuza tattoos. Yet, that wasn't the strange part. It was the fact that Kiriya sensei and Tsutaya-san were analyzing his chest and back just inches away, even touching his tattoos with great fascination.

"Oh Natsuo boy!" remarked Mr. Kobayashi. "Oh hey Natsuo! Mr. Kobayashi was just letting me get a look at his tattoos for a new novel I'm working on where the protagonist's father in law is a Yakuza boss!" said Kiriya sensei, standing. He chuckled out of embarrassment as he rubbed the back of his head, shyly smiling at Natsuo. Natsuo then looked to his editor, Tsutaya-san. "I just thought they looked cool," he said shruggingly. The three stared at Tsutaya-san as they burst into laughter at his deadpan lack of explanation. 

They caught up for the next hour over hospital coffee and tea, talking about new book releases, Fumiya's escapades at L'Amant, and the book club at school, and how Kiriya sensei advised Natuso's friends to spread the word and visit once Hina was discharged, as not to draw attention. Natsuo was thankful to have such thoughtful people around him. Once the subject turned to Hina however, Mr. Kobayashi's yakuza face came out. "We need to talk, Natsuo. Hina hangs out at the coffee shop, and we've talked a lot. She trusts me with her feelings, and I trust her, so I feel I am betraying her by telling you this, as she didn't want to burden you. However, that girl holds too much in. I don't think it's fair anymore. She loves you, Natsuo."

Natsuo had been looking down at the rings, smiling at the mention of Hina's name, but looked up, appalled at what he was hearing. "She doesn't want to come between you and Rui-Rui, but I couldn't see her that way any more. Her voice, her love, it deserves to be heard. To think she could have died, with no-one knowing her true feelings. Everything she does for you, she does from a distance, as not to interfere with you and Rui-Rui, don't you see that? She loves you, you idiot! For someone who writes female characters so well, you really are clueless, you stupid boy. Why do you not see that Hina is living for you! She even saved you from the driver! He was a news reporter who was gonna expose you, and Hina handled it, and he tried to get revenge, and Kanabe was involved! and-" Kiriya sensei placed a hand on Mr. Kobayashi's shoulder. Mr. Kobayashi hadn't noticed Natsuo's trembling lip, and his hair covered the bloodshot eyes, which were flowing once again.

"To be honest Mr. Kobayashi, I am clueless. To begin I was clueless about how I felt, and it became clear to me just yesterday. Now that I understand how I feel, I can't begin to fathom what Hina has been through. I understand why she didn't tell me. She's too kind, isn't she? Mr. Kobayashi?" Kiriya sensei gave a feeble smirk as Mr. Kobayashi's eyes began to swell. "I'll make things right for Hina. Just as she's been living for me, I've been wanting to live for her as well."