TWO

IF someone had read Victor's thoughts, they would have assumed that wallowing in self-pity was one of his favorite past times.

        It was in moments like these, where he was all alone in the vast library, with no one to accompany him but his thoughts, that he felt the weight of his past actions.  The closer that he got to his goal, the worse things seemed to become. Sometimes the means don't justify the end, but if that was true, then all the sacrifices he had made were in vain.

        Victor shook himself out of his thoughts and focused on the task at hand. Theo had asked him for a book, and in a disorganized library, searching for it was no simple task. The ladder creaked as he climbed it, the light that was filtering through the windows illuminating his view. The dust floated through the air. With one final glance, he grinned in victory as he spotted the title that was neatly printed on the spine of an aging book: Pseudomonarchia Daemonum. Victor plucked the book from the shelf and stepped down the ladder. With feet now on the ground, he turned and was met with an ungodly sight.

        Count Dracula.

        But Victor knew him as Vladimir, his "archnemesis;" his archnemesis that seemed to be a little too at home in the library, sitting on the old armchair.

        "What are you doing here?" Victor asked sharply, planting his feet on the ground in front of the vampire.

        Vladimir stood up, exposing his pearly white fangs as he gave out a joyous laugh. Oh, how Victor hated that laugh. In fact, Victor hated that laugh along with everything else the vampire was. He hated the sleeked back black hair. He hated the silver eyes that seemed to glow an inhuman red, and most of all, he hated the stench of death that seemed to follow Vladimir.

        "Is that any way to greet an old friend, Victor?"

        "Don't make me laugh, Vladimir; we are anything but friends. Now, I'll ask you once more: what are you doing here?"

        "No need to be so paranoid, Victor," Vladimir raised his arms out defensively. "It was just that a little birdie told me of your recent," Vladimir grinned, "...experiment. And you know me, I just had to see the precious darling for myself."

        Victor gave Vladimir a hard glare as he crossed his arms. Victor didn't question how Vladimir even knew about his newer endeavors since it was almost a fact that Vladimir had his minions everywhere, keeping an eye on everything that seems out of place.

        "What makes you think I would let you see her? I wouldn't wish you upon my worst enemy, much less one of my own creations."

        Vladimir's smile seemed to grow even more, but his eyes now held an unnerving coldness to them.

        "I knew you were going to say something like that, so I'd like to remind you that you are in no place to deny me from what I want..."

꧁☠︎︎꧂

        "Igor, what's a...fiancé?"

        The hallways of the building were long and winding, and after being pulled around by Igor for who knows how long, [Y/N] was getting tired.

        "You don't know what a fiancé is?" He stopped dead in his tracks and turned to face her.

        "I don't know what a lot of things are," [Y/N] deadpanned.

        "Oh, right," Igor rubbed his neck sheepishly. "I guess a fiancé is like someone who has promised to be a lifelong companion? Do you understand?"

        "...I have a lifelong companion?"

        "Well, yeah. That's why Master Victor made you, but I guess you wouldn't have known that."

        "It seems like I don't know much lately," [Y/N] pursed her lips.

        [Y/N] didn't like being kept in the dark, unknown to what was happening around her. In her short life, of approximately an hour or so, she had come to a realization that despite how much she already knew, she still knew so little. She felt helpless, being at the mercy of the whims of those around her. She wondered, is this what being a child felt like?

        "Don't worry about that," Igor gave a small reassuring squeeze to her hand that he was pulling on. "You have plenty of time to learn more."

        They resumed walking in the hallways of the...castle? Manor? [Y/N] didn't really know. [Y/N] let Igor lead the way, while she let her eyes wander at the numerous paintings that hung on the wall. Most of the paintings were portraits of an elegant looking woman whose pink eyes seemed to follow [Y/N]. One particular painting stood out to her; the woman, this time, was facing the viewer with a small, knowing smile plastered on her young face. Her chocolate brown hair cascaded on her shoulders, drawing [Y/N]'s eyes to the dress the woman was wearing. It was a midnight black color and intricate lace detailing. The neckline was low and allowed the beautiful red ruby necklace to be visible. The most interesting thing by far, in [Y/N]'s opinion, was the background of the painting. Behind the woman were dozens of black crows, allowing nothing else to be seen.

        "She's very beautiful," [Y/N] said breathlessly, in awe of the woman's beauty.

        "Yes, she was," Igor said coldly. The clear shift in his tone told [Y/N] everything she needed to know: that this was a sore topic for Igor and [Y/N] had to be careful when dealing with it.

        "Now, hurry up. Theo has been waiting for you for a long time."

꧁☠︎︎꧂

okay, sorry i lied. everything from this point on will be more interesting.

thank you for 100+ hearts!! im planning on making a 100+ hearts special but i have one question: would you rather wait until (most of) the main love interests are introduced or would you be okay with it only having the three that have been introduced so far? (i published this book on quotev a couple of days ago, im just copying and pasting this here, and made this author's note a couple of days ago. just trying clarify :) )

i hate self-promo but i made an instagram!! i have some art (ok, well sketch) of igor on my highlights. ill post some snippets and extras for all my books on there, so if you want to see that, please follow @agiu_s.