THREE

THE sound of the church bells were loud and thunderous. Small streaks of yellow blended in with the oranges and pinks: the sun was setting. The wide cobblestone streets were full as people filtered out to attend the nightly mass. The joyful shrieks of children could be heard as they ran in the streets, ignorant of the glares they received as they pushed past the adults.

In the small village of Bellgrove, attending mass had become a part of the daily routine. Two times a day, seven days a week, for one hour, the residents of Bellgrove would head to the church that laid at the edge of the town to take part in mass, where they would be rid of any sins they had committed through the day.

The old church had quickly become the center of the community in only a few years, and now decades later, it had become deeply ingrained into the Bellgrove's history.

The church bells rung once more, the last invitation for people to enter. By this point, almost the entire town was in the church, sitting in the pews as they awaited for Father to arrive. Almost the entire town.

In the opposite end of the village, stood the largest house.

It was home to the infamous Bogdan family. For centuries, even before the village was even there, they had lived there. Most generations of Bogdans grew up with the dark mahogany interior that had been filled with worn furniture. Now, the old family name was being carried by its sole living member— Mihaela Bogdan.

Mihaela never attended mass.

Born into a long line of monster-hunters, she knew there was something wrong with the church; something about the priest (or maybe it was deacons?) had always incited a feeling of panic within her, one that had her inching toward the dagger she always held near her. She had been raised with the distrust her family held for the church, which only grew tenfold with the new arrival of the new priest.

Mihaela knew that because of this she was an outsider, a heathen in the villagers eyes. She would have to face their beady stares and whispers as she made her way to the market every week. The church, however, would welcome her. Every time she would return from the market, she would be greeted with the sight of Father Belial on her doorstep, wearing a soft smile on his face. The smile, which might have put others at ease, only caused the hairs on the back of Mihaela's neck stacnd up.

Father Belial was a kind man, helping those in need and preaching the words of God. His warm brown eyes seemed to light up anytime Mihaela would ask about the other in the church were doing, his smile growing wider as he talked. His brown hair would sometimes fall upon his eyes, and he would brush it away, always trying to maintain eye contact with Mihaela. Despite how all of his features were inviting, she was still unnerved by him. He was just too perfect.

This day, however, Mihaela was not the only one who did not attend mass.

The flickering of the dying embers lit up emerald eyes, dancing like fireflies. The hulking figure they belonged to leaned against the wall next to the fireplace, arms crossed as he gave the girl that sat across from him on the chaise a once-over.

Adrik had done many horrible and gruesome things throughout his life, but this by far was one of the most stressful.

"You need my," Mihaela incredulously pointed at herself, her mouth agape in disbelief. "Help?"

Groaning in frustration, Adrik pushed himself off the wall as he raised his arms in frustration.

"Kid, have...have you not been listening to what I have been saying for the past hour?!"

"Yes!" She exclaimed quickly, maybe a little too quickly.

"Really?" Adrik raises a bushy brow.

"I might have zoned out a little a couple minutes into your whole speech, but I swear—I paid attention to the important parts!"

"Just get ready, kid; we leave at twilight."

꧁☠︎︎꧂

sorry for the hiatus 🧍‍♀️ school sucks lmao

im going to edit the chapters of these books so sorry for this being kinda sucky— all my chapters are drafts and i edit them as the story progresses in order to make it flow better. plus im also writing another story and im literally so excited to release it bc it has two of my favorite characters that i have created so far!!

also adrik 🤤 i love that hunk of a man