Conversations and More People

"So I have to know," Annabeth said to Artemis. "Did you always have feelings for Percy?"

"I mean...I admired him, but I can't say that I had feelings," Artemis said. "I would also say I was more in denial and trying to not have feelings for him, so if I did, I didn't know. Annabeth, I know this might be hard for you to process especially since in your world, you're nothing like our Annabeth, but I need you to remember that we are not the same as your world. Whatever happens in our world has nothing to do with yours."

"I mean I get that, but at the same time what happened in your world could've happened in our. All it takes is one mistake," Annabeth said. "My fatal flaw is hubris, and maybe... maybe if I had used my hubris in the wrong way... maybe I would've betrayed the people I love most. I just can't believe I could ever do such things."

Artemis smiled. "That, Annabeth, is what makes you different from her. You have remorse, compassion, and you have love, true love, and nothing, nothing can get in the way of that. I can't say whether or not I actually have feelings for Perseus. It's all so confusing to me as well."

"Thank you, Artemis," Annabeth said. "I really appreciate those words."

Annabeth turned to Perseus and walked with him to get some privacy. "So everything we talked about, is that truly everything that happened?"

"Yes," Perseus said.

"And did... did you love me? Before I did those things," Annabeth asked.

"Yes," Perseus said. "Or at least I believe I did."

"Can I meet her?" Annabeth asked.

"Uh, she's kind of in Tartarus," Perseus said.

"Oh," Annabeth said. "I just... I just want to know her mindset. What if... what if I become like her?"

"I don't believe you can," Perseus said. "I don't know what her mindset was, but I know whatever it was happened a long time ago. Maybe she never reconciled with her dad, maybe she fell for Luke's charm. Maybe she was just... broken."

"Thank you, Perseus," Annabeth said, and then sighed. "I admit, it's hard for me, seeing you with her, but I also understand that things are different here. But as long as you're happy with her, I'm okay."

"If it's all the same to you," Perseus said. "He does love you so very much. I would know, I was him."

"Thank you," Annabeth said with a smile as she walked away, satisfied with the answers she received.

Percy then noticed Perseus was alone, and decided to approach. "So, how powerful are you exactly?"

"It's hard to tell really," Perseus said, "I used to think I was as powerful as Artemis. After all even before I became immortal in a way, I was already powerful as I defeated Ares, resisted Aphrodite's charmspeak, and much more, but now I have been able to master manipulating the Mist to the point where I could probably manipulate all gods except for the Big Three. I don't know for sure as I haven't dared to really try it, truly, so at this moment, I would say I'm as powerful as Apollo and Dionysus, combined. Again, not really sure."

"Interesting. I refused immortality because I had a reason to," Percy said gesturing in Annabeth's direction. "But I suppose, you had nothing to stop you."

Perseus nodded and looked down. "Technically I rejected Zeus's offer too, but I simply came up with a deal that appealed to everyone. We avoid repeating history, and I also get some side powers with it," Perseus said.

"I sometimes think, if I was not in love, would I have accepted Zeus's offer or even immortality if not godhood, and my answer is no, I wouldn't have. I still would not want to live forever. I think it's too much for anyone," Percy said.

Perseus nodded. "I know what you mean, especially since we're the ones the gods always need, but when you gave the proper motivation," Perseus said, gesturing towards Artemis. "It's suddenly not so bad. There might be a day where I have to say goodbye to her, more so she has to say goodbye to me, and I couldn't imagine that. So that is why I choose to stay immortal. Even if I have to battle Titans everyday, it makes it all worth it. Tell me, Percy, if you AND Annabeth were given the choice of immortality, and you had no one else to think of, would you accept it."

Percy thought about it. "No, I wouldn't because I know that she also wouldn't. Even if we have nothing to lose, we still have our lives to lose in a way. I think we both eventually want to see Elysium, and I think we both want to eventually try for rebirth. I don't think either of us, no matter what, truly want to live forever, even if we had no friends to worry about. I sometimes worry about Thalia because I know she didn't truly choose immortality, she simply chose to stay out of the prophecy. So I wonder if there will come a day, where she will regret it."

"I can tell you, yes," Thalia said from the shadows. "Well, sort of. I am glad I can still die in battle because it means I will eventually reunite with my sisters and others, but as much as I love Artemis and the Hunters, I sometimes hate always being 16. I mean yes, I am older than that, but I feel like I'm missing out on life sometimes. I will never be able to know what it's like to be 50. I will never be able to know what it's like to truly be old. And even more, I will never be able to love someone like you two do. Ironic considering one of you love my lady, but still I am bound to the oath. I think some people believe that I chose not to love, but that is false, I chose to live because at the time I hadn't. For a decade of my life I was a tree, and now for decades more I am immortal. I never truly aged beyond 13, and that is one I will regret for the rest of my life, but at the same time, I don't hate it."

Percy and Perseus hugged Thalia tightly. "Perhaps, I could have a word with Styx? Even release you from your oath, if you wish," Perseus said. "We've become rather close. I even have her on speed dial."

Thalia shook her head. "No. You've already screwed your life over enough with her, no need to do it more. At the end of the day, I'll be fine. I understand that this is simply the life I chose to have."

Suddenly there was a loud bang. "Ow! Bloody hell!" A british voice yelled. "Hermione, what the hell did you do?"

"That wasn't me!" A british girl yelled.

"Will you two knock it off while I figure out where we are?" another british boy yelled.

"Oh Hades," Annabeth said with her eyes widened. "You're Harry Potter!"

"Who?" Percy and Perseus asked turning towards the three figures.