Chapter 4

Mason's POV: (Backwards in time!)

My heart stopped beating when I looked up to see my mate. I was excited and felt my heart explode with joy when I saw her. Her face was full of fear, and I remembered her name (how could I ever forget), Alex. Alex. I like the sound of that. My wolf purred. I felt immense guilt at the way I treated her when I saw the immense and intense fear in her eyes. I looked at her scars. The scars that I gave her, I'd never be able to take those back. My wolf whimpered. We'll have to get a new servant.

I got out of my seat and took a step toward her carefully. Alex backed up a couple of steps. "If your going to reject me, just do it." After a pause she added "Sorry if that was rude, Alpha." "I would never reject you." I silently willed her to forgive me. She opened her mouth to speak and I almost yipped with joy. My mate was forgiving me! "I, Alex Smith reject you, Mason O'Connor, as my mate." Then Alex, my newfound love of my life, my new mate, my new Luna, my new everything, literally ran out of my life.

I fell to my knees, to speechless to think, much less comprehend that I, Alpha Mason of the Redrock pack had no mate. She had rejected me. I shifted, and howled in pain. Romeo, My wolf, snarled me out of shock. "Get her back before she runs out of the territory! We can force her to love us." I immediately barked out orders to stop my new mate and shifted. Then I started running faster then I ever have before. My mate couldn't cross the borderlines, or it would be hours after we could search again.

I could hear her up ahead, and willed myself to go faster. The scent line was getting close. She wasn't going to make it! Alex couldn't shift, it was a well known fact. She couldn't get to the border before me. Then, something surprised me almost more then being rejected. She shifted into her wolf to cross the border quickly. I slowed to a halt at the borderline and stared at her beautiful retreating figure. Romeo howled in pain in my mind.

She had escaped. My mate had ran away and rejected me. My chest squeezed tightly. I felt like I couldn't breathe. I pulled myself together, still feeling broken, and I ran to do the paperwork to leave the territory. My mate would not escape after I caught her again. Ever. I promised to myself. One day, I will hold her in my arms while we watch our pups run around playing. It will happen. Romeo took over for me, and I retreated into the back of my mind.

I will find her some day.

-------

Alex's POV: (Back to present)
The strange brown wolf growled at me. I must be on his territory. That's dangerous, I could be killed for trespassing on his territory. I tensed my muscles, ready for a fight, but not really because I was malnourished. To my surprise, the wolf looked at my fur and started making choking sounds. I crept closer to see if it was okay, but saw that the wolf was laughing. The wolf was laughing at me! Sure, the pack laughed at me, but this random laughing at my expense from a stranger stung. I huffed angrily and almost attacked it on the spot, but remembered from the pang in my stomach that I needed food.

The wolf scratched a word into the ground. 'Shift' it read with very sloppy letters. I did, but warily. I was wearing clothes that melted (Thank you science!) into our fur when we shifted. A wolf had thrown it out in my old pack. The clothes were big on me, but they were better then nothing. The brown wolf (in my mind I had named it Fudge) went behind a tree and shifted. He was older then me, in his late thirties, when he came out fully dressed.

Fudge looked at me warily, and asked "You a pack wolf? Or are you a rogue?" Fudge had a light southern accent. His green eyes took my appearance in carefully, and measured. "Why do you need to know? So you can laugh at me some more?" I responded angrily, trying to hide the hurt. He blinked at me and laughed again. Fudge muttered something under his breath while laughing, I only heard some of what he was saying. "Young wolves... Crazy fur... Must be new fashion..." "Excuse me," I growled mentally chanting that I shouldn't attack him. "My fur isn't trend, I simply wanted to dye it." Fudge looked at me funny then started laughing harder.

"Young wolves these days." He muttered. Feelings extremely offended, I said "Well excuse me, Fudge, I must be on my way." "Fudge?" He asked bewildered. "Well I don't know your name." I said defensively. He snorted then held out his hand. "Henry Ranch." I glared at his hand then said curtly "Alex Smith." He looked a little put off and dropped his head. "You a rogue? I am, my pack chased me out 'cause I was gettin' too old." He sighed. "At least he isn't an axe murder or something." Juliet muttered in my brain. We don't know, he might be. I responded.

"I am a rogue, and I must be going now. I want to find some shelter for the night." I waved in farewell and began to walk away. "Wait there young un'." He said grabbing my wrist. I flinched and coward for a second before returning to my senses. I ripped my hand out of his grasp. "Don't touch me." I said my voice ice cold. He blinked at me, then said "You can take shelter with me an' my two buddies. There names are Tanya an' Max. C'mon."

I wasn't sure whether to trust this rogue or not, and he had offended me. I had nowhere else to go. Maybe... I could fight and run if there was trouble. With a resigned sigh I followed, not knowing what would happen to me.
_________

Hello reader people! This has gone through major editing. Yay, I'm going to start the sequel soonish.