7

That had been six months ago. It had been awkward and painful at first but the two of you eventually became cordial with each other. What was worse, and you knew it cut him deep, was that you'd reverted back to calling him by his family name. No more Katsuki or the occasional, playful, Hedgehog. You were still Hummingbird. At first it stung but you accepted the nickname just as Uraraka accepted Cheeks.

Distance him to keep him safe. That's what you told yourself. Pushing him away would mean one less person to worry about. One less person for the League to use against you. I had to do it.

In the past five months you had started your work study under Hawks. Keeping up with him was a grueling task that all of his sidekicks struggled with, and you were no exception. However, from day one he took a special interest in your training. It wasn't uncommon for you to be up late, being pushed past your limits. He was only helping you prepare for whatever the League may throw at you.

In that same time Hawks had successfully helped you infiltrate the League. From what you could tell, yes, they were still apprehensive of you. After all you had gone to them. It was Dabi that was most skeptical of you. It wasn't uncommon for you to find him eyeing you from his place across the room. That had been difficult to get used to, but you didn't let it show it it bothered you on any given day.

Dabi's eyes never left you when you at the hideout. You knew they didn't, even without looking at this point. He didn't trust you but you didn't trust him either. For that reason alone, you enjoyed throwing it in his face the damage he had done to you. Even in the winter, when you had first started coming around them, you had worn short sleeves.

"You know it doesn't bother him, right?" Hawks asked one evening after your feet were back on the solid flooring of your veranda.

"What's that?" You inquired with sigh.

"Seeing your scars. If anything he probably enjoys seeing his handy work."

You scoffed at that and rolled your eyes. "He would too. Whatever. Listen, I think it's about time we started that reflex training you mentioned a few weeks back."

"You have finals coming up in two weeks, let's hold off until then."

"I don't see the point in waiting," you argued. "We both know the league could make a move by then." Hawks scrutinized you from his perch on your railing but didn't say anything. "Come on, you know I'm right. Even if we don't do it for when we turn on the League, I need to work on my reflexes. I can't keep missing opening in someone's defense because I'm too slow on reacting. It needs to become more automatic. Second nature."

"I understand why you want to the training, but as I said, you have finals in two weeks time. You'll have enough on your plate."

"What if we get the go ahead from the others? Endeavor and Aizawa? Shit, I'll even talk to Hound Dog if it means starting this training."

"When was the last time you talked to Hound Dog?" Hawks asked suddenly.

You frowned with a scowl. "Why does that matter?"

"We both know that what you're doing is taxing. Not just on your both but mentally as well. Other than the your teachers and a handful of heroes, no one knows what you're doing. Even for an experienced adult that's a lot to take on. You're still young, still learning this whole hero business-"

"I'm almost as old as you were when you opened your agency, Hawks," you reminded him. Pursing your lips you leaned back against the building with your arms crossed and glanced at your feet as you thought a moment. "How about we compromise? Let me start participating in the mock battles with the League this week and I'll forget about reflex training until after finals. Then over summer break we can focus on my combat and reflex training."