10

They needed time. How much was beyond you. Maybe two weeks to plan and gather everyone they needed. Maybe more depending on how they were going to go about doing things. You were left out of the planning meetings. Endeavor said it was because they didn't want to put any more pressure on you than they already had. You couldn't handle this much, what makes you think you could handle more? His argument was sound so you hadn't pressed him. Hawks claimed it was something they did anytime they attacked after undercover ops. It adds to the surprise!

Aizawa was the one who had sat down with you after school one night under the guise that he'd needed to talk to you about an ongoing class assignment. He'd been straightforward with you, something that you would always be thankful for. He'd explained that leaving you out of the planning meetings was necessary. Yes, it would look better if you were caught off guard just as much as the other members of the League. Yes, Endeavor was correct in saying that you didn't need anymore on your plate, though he didn't agree with how Endeavor had worded things. Yes, you were currently overwhelmed. No, that wasn't the sole reason for leaving you out of the meetings. No, he wasn't going to tell you everything that was being discussed.

Much to your surprise you didn't push the topic. You'd thanked your teacher for his honesty and he in turn thanked you for your understanding. He'd told you that everyone involved agreed it was past time to get you out. That they didn't want to risk your mental health more than they already had. He'd even apologized for letting it get as bad as it had. For not noticing sooner that you'd been struggling. There had been signs he just hadn't seen them. Seemingly satisfied with his explanation you'd left the classroom and gave them what they needed.

Time.

It was the same thing you'd asked from Bakugo all those months ago. Funny how life had a way of throwing that kind of thing back at a person. Dread mixed with hope in the pit of your stomach each morning. Would today be the day? Is this what I've been putting him through each day? Surly he had grown tired of waiting for you. Maybe he moved on.

No, you couldn't think like that. Not when he had said all of that stuff at the beginning of break. You didn't need your quirk to tell you that he'd meant every word. It was clear in the way his voice seemed urgent when he'd spoken. Like he was afraid that if he didn't say it then and there that he would forget or the words would disappear with the fading light of the sun. No, he would wait an eternity and then some. Of that you were certain.

Just as you were certain that the pros wouldn't let any harm come to you. They would do whatever they could to get you out, you just had to be patient. And though you had the patience of a saint, waiting proved difficult. The paranoia was evident. You wouldn't be surprised if Hound Dog had smelt it on you during a visit accompanied by Aizawa the day after he'd found you wandering the school grounds. But despite that certainty and the reassurance from Aizawa, you were scared.

So scared, in fact, that you couldn't shake the feeling of impending doom the following Friday when you walked into the hideout. Hawks had explained the night before after your training that he wouldn't be able to make it today. Maybe that was the reason you felt uneasy. It wasn't very often that you were left alone with the League. Couple that with this being the first time you were left alone with them since begging to be pulled out and you were lucky not to be jumping at shadows.

You could practically feel Dabi's eyes boring holes into your body as you picked your way across the room to your usual place beside Himiko. "Gimme your hand," you instructed. She grumbled incoherently under her breath but stuck her hand out. Her fingers were broken, you could tell that just from the way they were twisted. "They did a number on you," you noted as you worked on her.

She winced when you brushed your fingers under her bruised eye. "You should see the other guy," she bit with a confident smirk.

Humming a simple response you made a mental note of her injuries. Three broken finger. A broken eye socket. Numerous bruises. A sprained ankle. "You may be more comfortable if you lay down," you suggested. "This will take a while."