Apothecary

A dark thought loomed over Meadowbrook's head. Questions about a story. Questions about the future. Questions about her sanity.

She answered them with excuses, reasons that she deemed understandable. But in her heart, she couldn't shake away the crevices of doubts that would return to her mind again and again. There was always the possibility, a very large one, that she was risking a terrible danger to her home. But, she couldn't leave it be. But, was that truly right of her?

“Ms. Meadow,” a young orange mare approached Meadowbrook. “I helped out the last customer. Should we close now?.”

Meadowbrook shook her head and spoke, “Thank you, Pye. You’ve been so helpful today. But you know you can call me aunt. We're family.”

“Sorry,” Pye apologized. “I wasn’t all that sure if it was appropriate here. I mean, I've only been your pupil for less than a month.”

“Don’t you worry bout that,” Meadowbrook held a hoof on Pye’s shoulder. “I take titles very seriously, so you can go ahead and shoo that away. You can call me aunt whenever you like.”

Months after the coronation of Princess Twilight, Meadowbrook had continued to sell her herbs to improve the health of rural ponies at Hayseed Swamp. To her surprise, Meadowbrook had garnered the presence of many traveling creatures that held interests in her products.

When Meadowbrook opened a shop at her hut, she didn't expect to attract so many customers. Her home got so infested with demanding buyers that Meadowbrook had to construct a separate hut to run her business. Meadowbrook wasn't one for owning multiple lands, but she could only endure her home getting ransacked for so long. Thank Celestia she had Cattail to give her a hoof, but demands for her works expanded to the farplanes of Equestria where established companies began to request collaboration with her.

She never envisioned her to gain so much attention, however, if her herbs are able to reach the hooves of many creatures and improve their daily life, she couldn't decline the offers. Meadowbrook decided to leave Cattail to negotiate the distributions while she ensured that her herbs were so the best of its quality. However, with Cattail gone to mediate with companies, Meadowbrook needed new ponies to adapt to the hefty production.

Natives of Hayseed Swamp and creatures that desired Meadowbrook’s knowledge in her apothecaries were placed under her tutelage. Learning her ways, most went out to produce herbs at other parts of Equestria, contributing to the distribution to all creatures and ponies.

Who would have thought this would happen during her quiet peaceful life in the swamps? She definitely didn’t expect Cattail to be hiding a younger sister from her.

Cattail was a descendant of hers that was the only to remain in Hayseed Swamp. Meadowbrook was mixed with excitement, anxiety, and sorrow to meet her new family members. It was somewhat calming to know that she still had a family after all of these years, but that also meant the bond she had with those long ago was now forever gone due to her long entrapment in limbo.

Pye was the name Cattail's sister went by. She was a very young mare, recently blooming into her adolescence. Pye was a ravenous learner in Meadowbrook’s teachings and sparked innovative ideas that intrigued the old pillar to work together to extend the possibilities to how they can contribute to the health of all creatures. It was an unending delight for Meadowbrook to have that young mare around. This must have been how Princess Twilight felt when she held Headmare Starlight Glimmer under her tutelage.

But right now, Meadowbrook’s beloved student and niece were plagued with concern. “Aunt Meadow,” Pye started. “Is everything alright at home?”

“I already told you, Pye,” Meadowbrook said in an assuring tone. “I have it all under control.”

“I know,” Pye stared at the floorboard. “It's just that he seems to be taking a lot out of you. You know I'm always here to help, right?”

“Now don’t you worry, Pye," Meadowbrook assured. "His condition is better each day. I'm not bending over backward like I used to. And besides, despite how he talks, he's a bit of a pushover with the way he is.”

“I know,” Pye said. “But his body has been the same for so long. When will he get better?””

“Now Pye,” Meadowbrook sighed. “You really shouldn’t be stressing yourself like this. Maybe you should find something to do to clear your mind.”

“Ponies are coming out tonight to fish for glowfishes,” Pye said. “It'd be nice if you could join us.”

“I wouldn't dare miss a chance to bond with my little niece,” Meadowbrook hugged Pye. The young mare reciprocate the sentiment and after closing up the shop, they went their separate ways.

During Meadowbrook's journey back to her home, those same series of questions came back to her mind. The constant doubts irked the mare as she was trying her best to stay optimistic. But the doubts burrowed in each of her crevices.