For my Queen

“This is ridiculous,” Sombra growled after being dumped a bucket of water atop him. Meadowbrook had set up a wooded tub in her hut where she bathed the stallion.

Their sudden fishing event happened to have gotten dirty for the former tyrant as Pye continuously tried to pry information about the progress of his relationship with Meadowbrook. Meadowbrook made the mistake of forgetting how Pye was insatiably curious about things.

It all started as normal as it could’ve been with a discussion about his health and Meadowbrook’s treatment, whom he made vast exaggerations about. A prissy stallion like him would voice all sorts of imaginations. Without his strength and magic, he’s simply a spoiled brat with ridiculous demands.

But then, Pye had to ask very intimate questions that gave Meadowbrook pause. Questions such as how often they walk together at night alone. How close have they become? And have they kissed yet!?

And to make it worse, Sombra was oddly calm about the questions. The fact that he could be so blunt about his answers made Meadowbrook so embarrassed that she felt the sudden instinct to push the stallion into the lake when Pye asked her last question. She and Pye had to join in the lake to help pull him out since he couldn’t overcome the waves.

“Look,” Meadowbrook said. “I’m really sorry about what I did, honest. But the way you were going about things just made it plain too embarrassing.”

“And you don’t think I don't feel that right now,” Sombra argued. “Not only have I been stripped of everything, but now I’m forced to to be pranced around like some filly’s doll.”

“Oh stop your exaggeration,” Meadowbrook said. “It’s not that bad.”

“And it’s only going to continue on for months and months. For goodness sake, this feels like an eternity. And even if I get my strength back I know that…” Sombra paused for a long moment, earning a concern from Meadowbrook. “It’s not coming back, isn’t it?”

“...What do you mean?”

Sombra gazed at the surprised mare. “We both know what I mean. My magic.”

“We don’t know that for certain,” Meadowbrook answered. “Things might turn around if we give it a few more months.”

“There’s already magic inside me,” Sombra said. “It’s always been there ever since I’ve regained consciousness. But even though it’s there, I can’t channel it. It’s as though my magic rejects my call.”

“Sombra…”

“I guess this is supposed to be my punishment then,” Sombra chuckled. “When I finally claimed the rule of the Crystal Empire, I wanted so badly for her to sit by my side as my queen. I was finally powerful and every pony finally recognized it. They all looked up to me as Radiant said they would one day do. But she didn’t accept my call. She was scared of me. She tried to talk me out of what I was doing. I wanted her to understand that I did it all for her, that worked so hard for that power and position so I could be worthy of her. But instead, I ended up scaring her away and in my lapse of emotions, I summoned crystals into the throne...and one of them got her…”

Meadowbrook watched the stallion silently, taken aback from what he just implied.

“Nothing seemed to matter at that point. Nothing but that goal I set for myself. It was the only thing I had left. The only meaning I had left with my home. If I can’t rule it, then I have nothing. I’m just a lone shadow in this world forever to be rejected for my actions.”

“I’m so sorry to hear that,” Meadowbrook said. “It must have hurt you a lot. But, why did you feel it was so necessary to be king. Didn’t she already love you?”

“I was uncertain,” Sombra said. “She was one of a kind. Do you think no other stallions would attempt to meet her fancy? There was one in particular that she appeared to have a lot of chemistry with. That smile she had with him felt so much more passionate than ever had with me. I had to surpass him somehow, and so I searched and discovered dark magic. With it, I became king, but I still lost her regardless.

“So then,” Meadowbrook grabbed Sombra’s hoof. “What is that you really want now?”

“Death seems such a pleasant idea,” Sombra said. “Maybe I could meet her again and apologize for what I did to her. But then, she probably wouldn’t forgive for wasting my life like that. So perhaps, if I could find something else to lean on....”

“I can help you find you if you let me?”

“I think I’ve already had,” Sombra said. “As filthy and plain this swamp may be, the creatures here have been very welcoming. The nights have their own beauty to them and I have found the company some ponies quite tolerable.”

“Think you don’t mind starting again then?” Meadowbrook asked. “It probably won’t be as fancy as your old life, but I’m sure you’ll find new meaning to be part of Hayseed Swamp.”

“As long as I have a queen, I think I can manage.”

“A queen?” Meadowbrook raised a brow.

Sombra turned towards Meadowbrook with determined eyes. “You must admit there is some truth to your neighbors. We do make quite a unique pair. Me, a royal, dashing stallion. And you, a feisty yet caring beast.”

“Did you really just call me a beast?” Meadowbrook deadpanned.

“One that I don’t mind being locked inside with.”

“If this is some ploy for you to manipulate me,” Meadowbrook leaned her face close to Sombra. “I’m never going to forgive you.”

“Then I’ll have to purge that thought out of your mind,” Sombra said and then immediately surprised Meadowbrook with a lunge of his lips. Meadowbrook fell back on her haunch and tapped upon her lips.

“That face of yours is so delectable,” Sombra grinned. “It would appear your steel resistance against was nothing but rubbish. I’ll be sure to make an honest mare out of you.”

“I think you have that backward,” Meadowbrook growled as she grabbed a bucket of water from Sombra’s bath and dumped it on Sombra. “If we’re really doing this, then there’s going to be a long list of ground rules, you hear me?”

“I’m a fair king,” Sombra grinned. “I’m sure we can find a compromise.”