One (Part 1 of 2)

The city cistern had been emptied years ago, and tonight, the illegal Market of the Scorpion had been set up in its place. As far as Sabik knew, Longport was aware of the market, but they weren't doing anything about it. At least that's what Lieutenant Suzaku Baines had reported to them before swearing that his father was the only official who wanted to mobilize a raid on the marketplace.

Seemed that for whatever reason, the Fleet Admiral's word didn't hold much weight anymore. That only served to worry Sabik. The Durantan Navy had never been content with illegal activities on the island. That was until today. Someone in the Navy was letting this happen right under their noses. Literally.

Sabik pulled his dark hood over his head and looked beside him. Jade Harris had an emerald green cloak on, the hood hiding most of her face in a shadow. It nearly covered her eyes. They'd both been around the Tranan Pirate Syndicate on different sides. Going to the market was risky, but Sabik hadn't another choice.

The cistern was underneath the Naval headquarters and back, hundreds of years ago, the island used it to store purified water. In the dry cistern, pillars stood, each carved with the depictions of the star gods and goddesses. Cassiopeia, Hera, Apollo, Orion; each a pillar of their own, holding up the ground above their heads. It was hard to imagine that for years this entire chamber had been drowned in water.

Soft red light illuminated the aisles of the vendor's tents. Each one set up with rich purple, green, and yellow fabrics slung up as cover. Scents wafted through the air; rich Jhataran spices mingling with thick, secondhand smoke. In the candlelight, stolen goods and illegal weapons shimmered, waiting for purchase.

They made their way down the aisles. Sabik kept his face down, glancing up only at vendors as they passed. He felt awkward in his clothes. He had swapped out his traditional kurta for one of Haworth's white button ups. Blending in at the Market of the Scorpion was necessary for him. He was sure he had passed a few of his old crew mates already. And if anyone recognized them from their fight back in Aydesreve, they would be just as unlucky.

Sabik saw the tent he was interested in at the end of the aisle. He glanced at Jade. She raised her eyebrows, her green eyes glinting. "You've found it?"

"I think so," he said. "Act confident or they will not sell--"

"Oh, lecture me when you stop looking at your shoes, Dr. Nejem."

The vendor's tent was draped in blue fabrics, studded with silvery threads. Smoke fluttered out of the curtain door. Jade coughed on the smoke. With a deep breath, Sabik stepped inside the tent. Jade followed. The tent was dark inside, illuminated by a dim caged lantern that sent spines of light out across the small space. Sabik bowed at the man in the tent. The pirate was short, with shoulder-length brown hair adorned with beads and golden coins. He wore a dirt-stained tunic. With a nod back, he directed Sabik and Jade to take a seat on the velvet-covered floor.

The pirate made a contemplative noise before drawing a pipe back to his mouth and puffing out the smoke. Sabik knew he'd have to make the first move or he'd be sitting there for hours. "Your wares?"

"Hm. What are you looking for tonight?"

You only asked for helioflorum directly if you wanted a vendor to spit in your face and turn you away. Helioflorum sold for high prices, but it was hard to produce. It was often sold to people who were more likely to form and support an addiction.

"Something strong."

"Something strong?" He puffed on the pipe again. The smoke smelled like flowers and burnt wood.

"Let me be honest with you. I have tried everything by now," Sabik said, setting his eyebrows in, acting the best he could. "And none of it has an effect anymore."