Six

The entire first floor of the Fleet Admiral's home had been transformed into a great ballroom with gold accents dripping from the ceiling and twisting around the great staircase. Beautiful people milled around the lavish dining table and sat in the drawing room. Wine slowly disappeared from cups as voices got louder. Ro tugged on her sleeves--her entire dress was made out of crushed velvet the color of garnets. How dreadfully clever of her lady's maids.

Sir John Baines stood in the entryway, in front of a grand staircase. He bowed at Ro, his finger wagging to the tune of the piano. His wife, Lady Sieryu, curtsied. Ro nodded back as her sisters curtsied in response. Celaeno had run off as soon as they arrived. That was one way to avoid the Admiral.

He wrapped his arm around his wife. Lady Seiryu was significantly younger than him, but much taller, with hair as dark as the sky and skin as pale as the moon. She was a strong woman from the Shanying Islands who Sir Baines seemed to rely on a great deal. It was heartwarming, in a foul, saccharine sort of way.

"Heiress Merope," Sir Baines greeted her. "I'm ever so delighted that you are attending tonight's soiree." He twirled his fingers around in the air, demonstrating the elegance of his word choice.

Diplomacy was important. More than anything else. She fixed a smile onto her face and curtsied. "Ever so my pleasure." She let her eyes drift around the first floor of the home once more. "Where is Lieutenant Suzaku Baines?"

"Oh, he's run off somewhere," Lady Seiryu said. She sighed and looked away. "I'll let him know that you've sent him your greetings."

"Oh, how it does bother me so," Sir Baines sighed loudly, "But a host nor his hostess has the time to go looking about for--"

"Shh," Lady Seiryu hushed her husband. "Let's not trouble the heiress, now."

"No trouble a'tall." Ro turned her body to leave but stopped when Baines gasped.

"Oh Heiress, your sincerest congratulations must ever be in order once you hear the news."

"What's that?"

"A wedding date for Suzaku Baines and the lovely Lady Danaë Oriol of the Tranan Mountains has been set," he announced. "The first week of February shall see the festivities."

Ro widened her eyes. "Why, yes, congratulations indeed," she paused. "I'm quite fond of Lady Oriol myself." She pivoted back towards the fleet admiral fully. She nearly tripped on the hem of her dress. "I'll go look for the Lieutenant and return him to the party guests. I'm sure they're eager to hear the details of his engagement."

"Oh! How generous our heiress is!" Baines rolled his eyes up in delight. Lady Seiryu tried to protest, but Ro walked away before she could hear it. She wasn't seeking out Suzaku entirely for their sake, anyway. He was an old friend of hers. She met both him and Lady Dejah Oriol when the three were younger. It was during one of the first royal visits to the Garnet House. It was a cloudy memory and she wasn't sure he'd remember her at all. It was nearly a decade ago. Not that she supposed it mattered if he remembered, but everyone knew that one day, after his father's passing, he'd be the Fleet Admiral. Ro had to secure good alliances where they counted. And, if she was being honest with herself, she wanted to know more about the marriage from Suzaku.

He wasn't in the sitting room nor the foyer. That would be too easy. Ro braved the ballroom. Granted, she hadn't seen Suzaku in several years, but it was hard to miss the one Shanyingyan boy in a sea of fair-haired Durantans.

Ro made her way through the ballroom, ducking past couples, admiring women with elaborate hairstyles and sparkling dresses as they twirled past. She dodged a pair of dancers before someone caught her by the shoulders. The stranger gently set her back onto her feet.