chapter twenty-eight

After her incident, or rather, research mission, in the study, Nora made herself choke down a salad for lunch

After her incident, or rather, research mission, in the study, Nora made herself choke down a salad for lunch. Then she grabbed a notebook, her boots, and her jacket, and got the first bus over to Dreame Entertainment's headquarters. The bus ride was almost 40 minutes, giving her plenty of time to think things over.

She didn't want to cause havoc. Didn't want to make a scene. Didn't plan to go in and collect data or ask around. Rather, she wanted to visit the place that was her father's blood, sweat, and dreams.

She needed to be sure if it came down to it, this was a place she could let go of if she had to.

The bus stop was three blocks from the office building. Not far from the palace itself, Dreame Entertainment had an excellent location for its headquarters. She knew that meant the rent wasn't cheap – she'd heard her father mention that once or twice – but that the price was worth it.

Dreame's headquarters was only a few streets over from Cavenaugh Productions, Daxton Cavenaugh's office building. Because they were near the heart of the city, the foot traffic outside was steady, no matter the season.

Nora pushed her way through the Aces moseying along the sidewalk in their burly winter coats and stopped. The main entrance doors had a small cement courtyard that boasted iron table seating and a large fountain in the middle. Despite the cold weather, employees chatted with each other, mingling around the drained fountain as they returned from their lunch break. Their words were clouds on the winter breeze.

Nora's reflection in the tall glass entrance windows stared back at her as she pushed through the revolving door.

The main lobby was a minimalist reception area with dark tiled flooring and a gray circle reception desk in the middle. In all the years Dreame Entertainment had been in this building, the lobby hadn't changed.

Neither had the receptionist. Nora stepped up to the counter.

Mrs. Bensen's face broke out into a smile. "Nora, I haven't seen you in a while. How have you been?"

It was hard not to match the grin on the middle-aged woman's face. Nora let her own happiness at seeing Mrs. Bensen peek out. "I'm okay."

"You've grown so much," Mrs. Bensen turned to the younger blonde girl next to her. "Vienna, this is Nora Davis. Nora, this is Vienna."

Vienna couldn't have been much past her early twenties. She wore her hair in a perfectly coiffed bun, her red blazer beautifully pressed. "It's lovely to meet you, Nora."

If Vienna recognized Nora's last name, she didn't show it.

"Vienna is training with me these next few weeks," Mrs. Bensen explained.

Nora's smile dropped. "Is that...are you leaving Dreame?"

Mrs. Bensen reached forward and squeezed the hand Nora rested on the top of the desk. "I'm afraid so. My daughter just had twins, and I'd like to spend some extended time with the grandkids."