epilogue

Four months later

Four months later...

Nora peeked around the bush she hid behind and swore long and hard in her head. Despite the warmer spring weather, the moment the sun went down, there was a chill in the air. That chill nipped at the skin of her exposed legs and along her arms.

If she didn't find a way to sneak back into the wedding reception soon, she'd have to take a cab back to the hotel and figure out a way to make it up to Jackson. The other option was to simply freeze out here waiting for the group of story-hungry reporters outside the venue to lose interest and disperse.

Nora? Eli's voice entered her mind. Where are you?

Nora winced. I went to the car to grab my shawl – which right now was doing nothing but covering her shoulders – and there's a group of paparazzi around the back.

They hadn't been there when she left – the back entrance was covered in ivy and vines well enough that they'd been safe for a bit. But clearly, they were smart enough to spot the additional entrance. And the casually dressed guards standing watch near it.

Where's Nichols? Eli asked.

Sam Nichols, her guard, was right at her shoulder, watching her. Waiting for her to decide if she wanted to stay here behind this bush all night or risk going in. Whatever she decided, Nichols would see that she did it safely.

He's right here, she told Eli.

He can get you in easily.

He could. But not without being seen. Part of the reason why she'd left to grab her shall in the first place was to get a moment alone in the car where she could catch her breath. She wasn't a huge introvert, however after the wedding earlier, the family photo shoot, the pre-reception, and now the reception, she'd just wanted some time to mellow out alone.

I don't want to talk to anyone.

Which wasn't a lie. Ever since the kingdom found out three months ago that she and Eli were mates, she'd had a barrage of attention. Good and bad. Most times she didn't care. But hearing the gossip was one thing. Actually talking about her life, her past or her present with Eli, was another. She wasn't Lizzie – she couldn't hold her own against the reporters with a skilled grace. Most times she just bumbled her way through interviews and the odd surprise question about her life.

Okay, I'llhang on— Eli broke off, no doubt to speak to someone. After a pause, he came back. Jackson's having someone come get you.

Awesome, but how would they possibly get her back in without being seen?

Where are you at? her mate asked.

Nora told him.

Not even a minute or so later, a woman poked her head around the bush. "Hey."