Chapter One: Helgen

I could see the smoke and smell the burning of flesh long before Helgen came into view. The rancid aroma was enough to make my stomach turn. I encountered the scent before, but only in passing; never had the stench been so potent that it saturated the air and caused me to become physically ill. I had to break strides many times upon approaching the city, as the smell gagged me and nearly caused me to lose my dinner. I could only imagine what had happened to create a fragrance so vile. I reasoned an inn had caught fire during the night, trapping its occupants inside. That was the only scenario I could imagine that could explain the intensity.

As my body grew used to the odor, I continued urging my horse closer to the settlement. Helgen finally came into view as I reached the apex of an overlooking hill. The steed stumbled to a stop on the cobblestone road, nostrils flaring in fatigue and fear. I stared down the hill as well, realizing I had underestimated the severity of the destruction. Through the billowing smoke, I could make out the remains of important buildings and structures. There was what appeared to be a tavern across the town, a few lookout towers left standing, and the remains of an Imperial Flag mounted on the crumbling inner wall. Debris littered the ground inside said walls in confusing and sporadic patterns. The town was completely devastated.

I needed several moments to comprehend all I could see. From my perch on the hill, I could make out no signs of life. Not a single soul moved around the square or wandered the streets between homes. Further, the eerie silence confirmed no one was calling for aid from within the smoldering houses. I wanted to believe everyone had evacuated prior to the destruction but, logically, it was impossible for the entire town to make it to safety given the extent of the damage. With no doubt in my mind that a rescue mission would turn up empty, I wondered who, or what, could cause such chaos.

My first assumptions led me to believe the attack on Helgen was an act of war. After all, the country was amid civil conflict. Helgen, as I was aware, was under Imperial control. Perhaps the rebels, the Stormcloaks as they called themselves, had been given the chance to attack the town and wanted to send a message to our empire. My theory was quickly dismantled, however, as it lacked the evidences of such an attack. An assault as large as the one before me would require large artillery, namely catapults, to carry out. There was no sign of such weapons, let alone room for them to be set up in the surrounding forest. Moreover, I hadn't heard of Stormcloaks killing innocents in mass before. This was their homeland after all.

The next logical choice was to assume bandits played a part in the attack. They certainly had no issue in killing the multitudes, but still, the thieves lacked artillery. I considered mages and even supernatural beings but every theory was missing means or methods. I decided I would need to investigate the hamlet at ground level to know for certain who could have done something so horrendous. Even if I could do nothing to bring back the townsmen, I needed to find out what killed them for my own sanity.

My horse, Epona, was understandably skittish as we approached the gate. On the other side, the sounds of crackling house fires and whispering wind greeted us. Whether they bid us welcome or warned us to stay away, I couldn't make out over the noise of my own heartbeat thudding in my ears. I dismounted, patting the animal's neck gently and muttered a word or two of comfort. I left her a moment to approach the gate on my own but out of habit she followed me closely, only a stride-length behind.

Pressing the back of my hand to the wood, I determined the fires that once raged inside were no longer close to the gate. Just for good measure, I peeked through the opening in the two doors before forcing one the rest of the way open. I took hold of Epona's reins and coaxed her through the passage. It was safer for the both of us if she was nearby if trouble came our way.

I found a hitching post- rather the remains of a hitching post- just inside the gate. After tying the mare to the beam, she let me know her anxieties by pawing at the ashen ground. I rubbed her snout to comfort her before remembering I had brought a snack for her as a part of my rations. As I searched through the saddle bags at her side, a tower across town resorted to crumbling.