Chapter Five: Dragon's Tongue

Jorleif met me at the front doors of The Palace of Kings. The steward smiled faintly at me as I approached, as if he had been expecting me for a while. The thick-bodied Nord rocked slightly on his heels, moving ever so slightly to keep warm. I saluted him in a greeting, bowing my head in respect. Returning the gesture, he chattered, "Jarl Ulfric wanted me to escort you. He'll be pleased to know you came back."

"Thank you, Steward. You didn't need to wait in the cold, though. I could have met you inside," I teased.

He smirked in amusement. "I suppose so, but the Jarl wanted me to fetch you as soon as possible. He was... anxious for your return." He said "anxious as if he was choosing his words wisely; it made me suspicious. Jorleif noticed my reluctance and quickly added, "Don't worry! He will be glad to see you. I'll take you to him." The steward turned on his heels and briskly walked inside, holding the door for me in a polite but obviously strained gesture.

I followed the man as he led me down the main hall and towards the throne. The Jarl was not seated there and I couldn't hear his velvet voice echoing from any of the connected hallways. Curious, I kept pace with Jorleif as he walked past the throne and towards a large wooden door on the back wall. He offered no explanation, simply pushing open the door that once again led outside.

I was still more than a little cautious, but I continued through with his direction. Surprisingly, the air was a tad warmer and there was not a trace of snow on the ground. I took notice of a large glass ceiling above me that filtered sunlight but kept the cold at bay. The stone walls were air tight, but several small windows could be opened or closed as needed. All around me raised boxes housed flowers and herbs, scenting the air with a wonderful blend of sweet and earthy fragrance. It was a garden: a green, living paradise in the middle of a frozen tundra. I couldn't help but smile at the sight. 

I glanced back at Jorleif to see him nod, reassuring me I was in the right place. As I wandered further in, he quietly shut the door behind him, allowing me to explore the unique Nordic greenhouse alone. The flora ranged from edible fruits and vegetables to flowers and ivy. Many of which I recognized from Cyrodiil or from readings, but there were a few that were new and captivating. There were so many colors, so much life, in a place that seemed like nothing could grow or prosper.

As I traveled deeper in, I noticed a group of flowers that appeared to be recently planted. I didn't recognize them or knew if they served a purpose, but I fell in love with their beauty.. The bright orange petals were lined with gold stripes while a purple pistil sprouted from the center. The scent was sweet like a honeysuckle but lingered and calmed as lavender.

I had only started to reach out to touch the flower when I heard a voice mutter from behind me, "It's Dragon's Tongue." I turned to look back at the Jarl. My panicked salute of greetings was dismissed with the wave of his hand. "You can take one if you like. Wuunferth has enough for his potions."

I smiled softly at his offer, but shook my head. "I'd hate to waste it. I'm afraid it would die before I made it home. Besides, I don't know what it does alchemy wise."

Ulfric walked over to me, his callused hand cupping the flower and examining it. "Resistance, among other things:" he started, running his thumb over one of the sepals, "Fire, Ice, and Shock from what I understand. I asked Wuunferth to make some potions for the officers to carry on them in case of another dragon attack. Dragon's Tongue makes a good base." With a quick motion, he plucked the flower from the plant and turned to face me. He held out the bloom for me to take and muttered, "The wizard won't miss one."

I was reluctant but eventually yielded, gingerly taking the flower. Allowed a closer look, I studied it for a few seconds more, falling even more in love with the colors and fragrance. I twirled the short-stemmed bud between my fingers a moment before looking back up at the man. A smiled played at my lips as I finally muttered a kind, "Thank you."