Chapter Six: Working for the Legion

I didn't realize how exhausting it was to traverse the wilds of Skyrim. Granted, the previous few days were filled with long carriage rides, empty magicka reserves, and fights against dragons and trees. I was just under the assumption that Skyrim would be a touch more like home.

The evening I returned to Dragon Bridge eventually calmed enough to almost feel normal. Luckily, my uncle took pity on me after my "long trip to Riften" and let me sleep in the next day. I downed a bottle of potion and a bottle of wine, compliments of Faida. With poison and potion in my system, I had one of the deepest, most relaxing sleeps I experienced in a long while.

I slept so soundly in fact, I didn't wake when Gaius dressed and left to meet Faida early the next morning. I didn't hear my uncle enter the tent and set out my morning rations either. The only thing that coaxed me out of my sleep was a distant rumbling thunder accompanied by a sharp, freezing wind that pushed open the flaps of my tent. I jerked awake at the intrusion, but I couldn't bring myself to sit up. The warmth of the blankets held me captive as I watched violent wind tear through my tent, flipping pages in my opened notebook and blowing out all the lanterns.

As it finally died down and the tent flaps returned to their normal positions, I finally decided to climb out of my cot. I began to dress into my familiar reds and leathers, taking careful note on the conditions of my wounds. I had no pain anymore, thankfully, but the burns and boils had already scarred awfully. Even my armor has some nice scorch marks burned into the leather. They would work for the time being, but I assumed my uncle would want me to have them fixed or replaced soon. It wasn't as if he was worried they would cause problems for me in battle. As far as he knew, I wouldn't be in combat with anyone or anything for the rest of the duration of our stay. Rather, he wanted me to look proper and presentable. Our guild needed to remind everyone who we were, specifically General Tullius.

After dressing, I hesitantly walked out of the tent. I was greeted again by the crash of thunder, but luckily the rain seemed to be a ways off. Out of the protection of my quilt, the wind cut me to the bone. My armor seemed to have little to no effect in protecting me from its icy grasp. When it actually did begin to rain, I knew I was going to be freezing. Since that was the weather during the warm months, I knew to dread the colder ones.

I made my way into town, noticing the hustling and bustling of the townspeople. They didn't seem to mind the impending storm one bit. I knew the loggers would still work through the rain in their covered mill. The merchants and fletchers would continue selling wares to the passersby, and when business slowed, they could simply count their coin and inventory. The farmers and hunters would only be delayed in the storm, but if they really wanted, they could call it a day and sit in Four Shields Tavern and entertain themselves. Life continued for the people of Skyrim regardless of the obstacle. That was something to be admired.

When I reached the Outpost, I saw Epona tied to the front rail along with the rest of our herd. I expected her to be nervous and wild-eyed with the impending weather, but she was too preoccupied with the large bales of wheat and barley in front of her. She acknowledged me with a slight twitch of her ears before continuing her buffet. I tutted in amusement as I climbed the steps to the porch and walked in front of her, leaning against the rail. "As much as you eat, I'd think you'd have some weight on you by now." I was startled by a flash of lightning above us, but it the preoccupied glutton. I laughed, "I guess if we're going to be traveling a lot I'll have to have food on me at all times."

My uncle's deep voice caught me off guard. "Gaius and I both noticed she only acts brave around food." I turned to look at him, seeing him sitting at a table behind me, cornered between the wall and the porch railing. "He's the one that actually suggested giving them food bales to help them stay. It's working so far." He shifted his gaze from the horse towards me. "What do you mean you're 'going to be traveling a lot'?"