Chapter 1

Overly anticipated time of summer hit Gwen’s soul as she knew thrills, late nights and unexpected romances could take her by surprise. She stood staring out of a lovely Victorian house bay window at the swarm of children leaving for whatever their little minds made them wander. Gwen is a middle aged woman, still single and often dedicated to finding her true love. Long blissful black hair and eyes of a saint made her hourglass shaped body dazzle.

            She had it all, yet she didn’t. The other entire lady’s around her had the family, the man to hold them, and the chores of keeping the house tidy.

Watching the kids from the window made her think what she had, a room upstairs in a house owned by her dreadful step-mother. Although dreadful, she loved her. Ever since her dad died when she was younger her step-mom came to her side to care and cradle to her every need.

Not going to college, or even attempting to advance in her career, Gwen had the outlook she didn’t have the need to.

Day dreams about a sweet handsome man picking her up and kissing and tending to her every need clouded her judgment to even move out of her ma’s house.

Walking through the hard wooded floors of the house with her steps echoing, she preceded to leave the house for a day of wandering.

Strutting her swag and turning heads on Main Street, every woman envied that beauty. Yet, hate spitted on her, considering not being married, many rumors circulated the small town that she slept with many different men and even the occasional woman, marking Gwen as a slut. But slut she was not. She did in fact have the occasional one night stand but that everyone had. Even her step-mom who’s getting into the mid-fifties brought strangers home.

Walking in the local coffee shop, Blended Beans, the old wooden door hit the seal with a ring of a bell. Not any sight of cute guys. Sigh. Gwen always dreamed at least one hunk could be sitting at a table drinking coffee.

Ordering a house special with a double shot of espresso, Gwen preceded to leave the shop when a new face entered. Quickly gazing for a spot to sit, she took her chance to use her body language an available chair waited.

Peeking out of her peripherals a nice young blonde man standing no more than 5 ten’ish waited at the store counter for a drink. Not defiantly in shape but just enough to where he didn’t fall into the category of “fat”.  

Thinking he’d be an easy target, Gwen looked at her outfit. Faded jeans, hair in a bun, and defiantly not matching attire, she appeared to have just gotten out of bed. That wasn’t attractive at all, especially since it was the afternoon. Even so, she at least had her looks to rely on, and her looks where in fact model like.

Beginning his way out, she spoke up, “Hi. There’s an empty seat right here?” He gasped at her, like she meant it to be a mean joke or she’s just desperate. “Umm I’m in kind of a hurry…”

“Come on, can’t you just sit with this gal for a little chit-chat?” Looking at him with puppy eyes and a sweet smile, he just couldn’t let his man hood down.

“Hi, I’m John.” He said. “And I am Gwen, nice to meet you. So where you from John?” “Just passing through, you know a little vacation for me.”

“Interesting, so John, got anyone special in your life?” Gwen began as another man waltzed in. “Hey John. Come’ on lets go if we are going to make it to my parents by night, we have to leave now.” The stranger stated. Gwen rolled her eyes side to side at the two of them. John looked at her with a grin and pointed at the man. “That’s my special someone.”

Gwen slumped down in her chair as she saw those two love birds leave. Even a man who wasn’t in her league had to not be a type close enough to match; just for a quickie.

With a half-finished drink the worker looked at Gwen and shook her head. She noticing sighed leaving with a crack in her heart, slamming Blended Beans door.