Six

~Mate~

LAIELA

I was caught.

And he bit me.

I opened my eyes, feeling sore all over my body. A groan of pain left my lips. I turned my head to look around me. I was in someone's bedroom. I shut my eyes and just took in even breaths as I tried regaining my energy.

The scent of something intriguing wafted around me. It...was cedarwood and something so familiar and relaxing. Slowly, I could feel myself getting less weaker. I opened my eyes once more and this time sat up slowly.

My first action was to touch the spot he bit, expecting to feel pain but all I felt was a pleasant tingling sensation. I got down from the huge bed and tried walking around. I expected intense pain in my thigh instead I just felt a slight twinge.

What happened to me? Shouldn't I have been bedridden for weeks? Or for months even? But instead, there was very little pain. Why did I have a feeling this was all because of that man? Or whatever he was.

I looked around where I stood. A flash caught my eye and I moved closer and then realized it was a mirror. I watched myself and I was a little surprised by what I saw.

I looked so normal even after what I had been through. My black wavy locks were still the same. The light in my brown eyes was still there. I had at least expected to be paler due to the event but instead, my complexion was still the same slight tan. Everything was the same. Except for my neck.

I took a very good look at it. Where I expected torn and bruised flesh was normal skin with just two crescent marks. The marks didn't even bear resemblance to bite marks. They were just like pink thin crescent moons facing each other.

And I was in a dress. A different dress, not the torn and bloodied white dress I wore during the Hunt. Someone had changed my clothes when I was out. Goosebumps rose on my skin as I contemplated on who exactly changed my clothes.

I turned away from the mirror and moved around the room. It no doubt belonged to a male. I moved to try the door and found it unlocked. The first thing that and to my mind was to escape and I went with it.

I was barefoot, so it made it easier to creep around. I closed the door quietly behind me and tiptoed into the hallway. Turn after turn, I moved from one hallway to another. Soon it was after minutes of walking around that I was finally able to accept it. I was lost. Completely lost. In a strange place. I hated that I felt vulnerable.

I didn't know whether to just crouch down to the ground and await whatever fate had in store for me or keep searching for a way out. Being myself, I chose the latter and continued my blind path in the labyrinth of hallways.

Soon after, a staircase come in to view leading downstairs and I didn't hesitate in finding out where it led to. I moved quickly down the stairs and soon began having hopes of finally finding a way out.

But then the shivers came and the hopes fell quickly. He stood a the final landing of the stairs as though he'd been waiting for me. I stopped abruptly. He looked up at me and we locked gazes. The shivers were replaced by a warm fuzzy feeling I didn't understand.

He assessed me with his cool grey gaze then rudely dismissed me with a mere look. He turned and continued down the stairs. I frowned deeply at his retreating back.

How arrogant. I had a lot to say to him and he just turned around and walked away like he didn't just kidnap a total stranger and also bit her. I decided to follow him and give him a piece of my mind.

By the time I caught up with him, he was already off the stairs and walking down a hallway. I wanted to call out to him but I had no idea of his name and by the time I mustered the energy to call him 'hey', he had already entered a room with its door ajar.