• Chapter 5 •

Our little chat was cut short by Silver coming to check on us.

"Well thank heavens for little miracles. I can't believe the decks still in one piece." Silver said.

"Do you really think so little of us?" I asked.

"Ah of course not, young one" Silver said smiling.

Jim stopped and looked over at Silver, "Um...Look- I-...What you did, thanks" He smiled.

"Yeah i'd probably be dead by now, but thanks to you i'm still here." I said joking as I twirled around, my skirt flowing.

"It's no bother at all...but didn't either of yere pops teach ya to picks your fights a bit more carefully?" Silver questioned.

I sighed and looked down at my feet staying silent. The memories of my mum and dad just stuck knives in my heart. Jim didn't respond either, when I looked up he looked almost as sad as me.

"Yer fathers not much of the teaching sort?" Silver said.

"No. He was more of a taking off and never coming back sort." Jim responded.

I felt bad for him, knowing his dad was probably out there somewhere, just not coming back must have been horrible. At least I had some sort of closure. I sat down one of the wooden boxes and still didn't say anything

"Sorry Lad..." Silver said apologetically.

They both looked over at me, looking for an answer. I finally spoke up, quietly but I still spoke,

"He uh died on a voyage along with my mum..." I whispered. It was such a painful thing to have to say.

"Oh darling..." Silver shook his head. "I'm so sorry."

Jim walked over to me and put his arm around my shoulders. He didn't say anything, he just looked at me with sympathy...or empathy. Silver started to talk trying to lighten the mood.

"Well...Since the captain has put you two in my charge, it wouldn't hurt for me to teach yous a few  things." Silver said walking over to us. "I'll be pounding a few skills into that thick head of yours, to keep you out of trouble." He said gesturing to Jim and laughing. "I know you're one intelligent lass, but it couldn't hurt to learn a few tricks from an old man like me." Silver said looking at me, and winked.

I will admit that he made me feel a little better, I smiled weakly at him.

"From now on I'm not letting you outta me sight. You won't as much eat or sleep without my say-so." Silver joked.

I don't think Jim realised that it was a joke, because he began protesting to Silvers claim, trying to look intimidating and serious. Silver and I looked at each other and started laughing.

"Oh come on Jim, it'll be fun." I punched his arm playfully.

"W-what? Your on his side." Jim said looking surprised.

"What if I am." I looked at him narrowing my eyes, him still not realising it was a joke.

Before he could speak we were interrupted by Mr. Arrow. "Miss. (Y/n), Captain Amelia requests your presence."

"What did you do this time (Y/n)?" Jim said sarcastically.

"Ha ha you're sooo funny Jim." I returned the sarcasm.

"I try." He smirked.

I stood up and walked over to Mr. Arrow. I nodded and walked with him all the way to Amelia's stateroom. I opened the door, kind of worried. Maybe I had done something wrong.

"Hello Aunt Amelia, You wanted to see me?" I said closing the door behind me.

"(Y/n). I just wanted to speak to you about your sleeping arrangements." She said.

"Sleeping arrangements?" I asked.

"Yes. You see I want you to get the full experience, so you'll sleep on the same floor as the crews quarters. However, as i've said before, I don't trust this crew. You'll have a separate room." She said walking back and forth.

"Amelia, if you don't trust them, it's hardly a good idea to leave me alone..." I said getting an idea.

She stood there thinking about it and eventually agreed with my idea. I walked over and gave her a hug, "Goodnight Amelia.".

She hugged me back, "Goodnight dear, you'd best be off to get some rest."

I left the stateroom expecting to have to go find Jim, but to my surprise he was just outside the door waiting for me.

"Oh, gods you scared me." I said when I saw him.

"Oh sorry, I just waited to say goodnight before I went to bed." He said.

It wasn't until now when I was standing right in front of him with no distractions that I realised how much taller than me he actually was.

"It's alright, when in the world did you get so tall?" I said tilting my head up to meet his eyes.

"You're just got shorter" He joked as he leaned on my shoulder.

"Aren't you such a jokester?" I said with my hands on my hips. "Anyway, lets go. It's getting late. Aunt Amelia said i've to stay in a different cabin because she doesn't trust the crew. And your coming with, i'm not staying alone." I said as I started walking.

"Fine by me" He shrugged.

We walked down the stairs to the crews quarters. We had to walk past all the crew in their hammocks. There were some playing cards, sitting on barrels with dim light. Every single one of them stared as we passed them. We eventually arrived at the little cabin.

The two of us stepped inside to find an oil lamp and two hammocks. There was blankets too, which was nice.

"Mm quaint..." I said looking at the tiny room.

"Yeah you could say that..." Jim said waking over to one of the hammocks and slipping into it.

I laid into my one that was just across from his, I was absolutely exhausted after the full day of work.

"Good night (Y/n), sleep well." Jim said as he twisted to turn off the oil lamp.

"Good night Jim" I replied.

I drifted off to sleep as I stared into the darkness of the room.