chapter four

"How did they find us?" I cry, rushing down the cellar stairs.

"That does not matter now. You must run back to the horse and take Amanda back to our base. Do you understand?" Noah instructs. I start to shake my head.

"Absolutely not. What of you an-"

"No. Please, Princess, flee," he begs. However much I want to, I cannot refuse him.

"As you wish," I reply quietly. I grasp Amanda's hand tightly and, with one last look back at Noah, we sneak out of the cellar. Racing by the outskirts of the market, I guide Amanda to the mare.

"I certainly hope you know how to ride a horse," she murmurs nervously as I help her onto the horse.

"So do I," I admit. I climb onto the mare's back and attempt to situate us in a comfortable position.

"Guards!" someone screeches behind us. Amanda shakes nervously as I gather the reins.

"The princess!" someone else yells. As the thundering hooves grow closer, I flick the reins, maneuvering us into the foggy forest and hopefully losing our pursuers.

"I think we are safe," Amanda says, looking behind us.

"We will not be safe until we arrive at the base," I counter nervously. I ease the horse into a gallop, and, soon enough, the familiar stone house comes into view.

"Will Joko and Noah be alright?" Amanda questions as we hop off the mare.

"I have complete faith they will be," I lie. Amanda smiles weakly and follows me inside.

"Camilla's back!" Travis calls, stopping in his tracks when he sees mine and Amanda's dirty, torn dresses. Cooper rushes into the room, freezing similarly to Travis.

"They found us. The Dark Guard. I haven't a clue how," Amanda explains. Travis' face pales considerably.

"Joko and Noah stayed behind. They will return later, right?" I ask anxiously.

"Of course they will," Cooper assures, unconvincingly.

"Please excuse me, but I'd like to have some time to myself," I interject. Everyone agrees and I return to my room, trying to figure out a plan. I silently pry open the window and swing my legs over the sill, ready to sneak out to the stables.

"I certainly hope you are not about to do something idiotic." That voice makes me freeze in my tracks. I didn't even notice him do it, but Schlatt somehow appeared in my room.

"Of course not!" I lie. Schlatt arches a skeptical eyebrow and I sigh in defeat, getting up and closing the window.

"You were not going to see if Noah and Joko escaped?" he asks.

"I do not believe that was idiotic," I protest weakly. Schlatt crosses the room and locks the window with a key.

"I was hoping you were not going to make me do this, Princess," he says with a sigh.

"Do what?" I ask naively. Schlatt doesn't answer, simply walks into the corridor and closes the door behind him. I creep over to the door after a few moments, only to find it locked. I'm trapped. So, I do the only thing I know to pass the time. I sit down at the small writing desk and fetch a sheet of parchment, quill, and inkpot. Humming softly, I compose lyrics.

As I write, the words flow naturally. I think of my knights, brave soldiers willing to do the right thing no matter the cost. I think of myself, a poet of sorts, coping in the only way I know how. I think of my father, a righteous and fair king who sacrificed his life defending his kingdom. Salty tears flow from my eyes and land on the paper, blurring the ink together.

I sit at the desk for a while, trying to gather my thoughts. More than anything, I wish I have the ability to be brave like my knights. Even Schlatt is his own kind of quiet brave. I, however, am just a princess. Destined to marry some prince from a kingdom, not for love, but for alliance. As if I would be getting married without getting my throne back.

At some point, I slowly drift off into sleep. The events of the day, the worrying, and the thoughts are enough to exhaust me. Even in my dreams, I cannot escape reality.

♕♕♕♕♕♕♕

"Camilla, wake up." A gentle voice brings me out of my slumber. I mentally curse as I realize I fell asleep at my desk.

"Hello, Travis. Is there something wrong?" I ask politely, trying to smooth out my dress. The curly haired knight smiles weakly.

"We found Joko?" I immediately wake up.

"How? Is he okay? What of Noah?" I ask frantically.

"He was very wounded when we found him, tied up by the side of the path. Ted found him while out hunting. He is healing now, Amanda is caring for him. As for Noah, there is no sign of him. We have to assume the worst," he finishes. Tears brim in my eyes. It was my fault Noah was captured, and possibly dead. So many thoughts fill my head, but instead I blurt,

"Do you have a lyre?"