chapter six

I try to yawn as quietly as possible. The knights haven't slowed down all night, joking around, sometimes drinking. I quite miss Charlie's presence, he was usually calm, like me.

"Camilla." I turn to Schlatt, a little shocked that he used my first name.

"Yes?" I question politely.

"I apologize for the way I spoke to you earlier. It certainly was not one of my best moments, and I should not have been that harsh to you, or Charlie, for that matter," he adds. I smile gratefully and take a sip of wine from my goblet.

"I accept your apology. Thank you, Schlatt. Now, if you do not mind, I will excuse myself," I bid. As I stand, so do the knights, each bowing.

"You do not have to do that," I remind with a light laugh. Carson shrugs and they sit back down.

"A force of habit, I suppose," he replies. I smile and nod, turning away to the corridor. On the way to my bedchamber, I peek into Noah's bedchamber. He's fast asleep on his bed, in his day clothes, with a journal on his chest. I tiptoe in carefully and remove the leather book from his chest. However, my curiosity is piqued, and I cannot help but read one of the pages. It is a beautiful poem about the transition from the summer season to autumn. I smile and put the book on his night stand.

"Camilla?" he croaks. I curse mentally for not realizing he woke.

"Go back to sleep, my poet. You may write again in the morning," I assure soothingly. Noah smiles sleepily and I turn to leave.

"Please, stay. I need you," he admits. I blush furiously.

"Only for a little while," I acquiesce. Somewhat awkwardly, I climb onto the bed beside him, propping myself in an upright position against the headboard. Noah turns to me and smiles.

"You are beautiful," he whispers. I blush again.

"Go to sleep," I reply. Reaching out a hand, I stroke my fingers through his hair, as my mother did to me as a child whenever I could not sleep. Noah smiles happily once more and closes his eyes.

His breathing gradually grows even and I retract my hand from his surprisingly soft hair. Not wanting to disturb him, I simply adjust my positioning a little, lying down a bit more. Before I can realize what is happening, my eyelids begin to grow heavy, and I swiftly fade into a deep sleep.

♕♕♕♕♕♕♕

I wake up, mercifully, to bright light streaming through the sheer curtains. It is at that moment when I realize my bedchamber does not have sheer curtains. I curse under my breath upon remembering the events of last night.

"Ah, her Highness has awoken," Schlatt comments dryly, entering the room.

"What is it, Schlatt?" I ask, using the same tone.

"We have outlined a rough draft of our attack and we would like your input." I blank, not sure if I heard him right.

"You want my help to plan an attack against the dark queen?" I question.

"That is indeed what I said," Schlatt replies. He turns on his heel and swiftly leaves. I smile to myself. Finally, for once in my life, I am useful for something other than being a princess. I return to my bedchamber to change, just a simple, cream dress. I follow Schlatt's instructions and bound down the corridor to the war room. When I open the door, my mouth opens in wonder.

"Oh, my," I breathe, smiling widely as the knights chuckle at my wonderstruck expression. The majority of the war room is occupied by a clay model of Astraea, complete with clay figures for each of us.

"As I was saying, Charlie is returning with Grace this evening. Josh is arriving tomorrow, as are Condi and Grizzly, and Mason is bringing Madi." Ted's expression lights up at the last name, likely his wife or betrothed.

"What of the others?" I question, vaguely remembering them discussing others to join us.

"We have not heard from Connor or Alex in many days. We have no choice but to assume the worst," Carson replies. My face falls slightly, but I simply nod. I take a seat next to Cooper and listen patiently as Schlatt lays out the plan.

"You cannot enter from that side of the castle," I interject, "The passageway was sealed up mere days before the dark queen invaded. A better choice would be through the servants' quarters."

Schlatt nods appreciatively. "Thank you, m'lady."

Cooper nudges me lightly, a grin alight on his face. I smile back and return my attention to Schlatt.

♕♕♕♕♕♕♕

"I hate to ask this of you, Camilla, but it is quite likely I will need you to accompany Cooper to the market this afternoon. We are dangerously low on food, and a woman and man would be less suspicious." Carson shifts uncomfortably.

"Of course I shall. It is no problem at all," I add. Cooper looks at me guiltily, but I simply shake my head.

"Shall we?" he asks defeatedly. I nod and take his arm, following him out of the war room.