chapter five

I perch myself on the edge of the kitchen stool, strumming the makeshift lyre- a contraption I created from a reconstructed serving bowl and some string- slowly. Travis smiles.

"Do you know any songs?" he asks excitedly. I smile sadly. It is almost terrifying how alike he and Nikki are.

"Indeed I do. In fact, I wrote one last night." Travis' jaw drops.

"Are you going to play it?" I nod and strum the lyre again. I take a deep breath before playing the chords I plucked from an old folk song my mother sang to me as a child.

"There will come a soldier, who carries a mighty sword, he will tear your city down, oh lei oh lai oh lord," I sing softly. I pluck the melody a few times before continuing to the next verse.

"There will come a poet, whose weapon is his word, he will slay you with his tongue, oh lei oh lai oh lord." I repeat the melody again.

"There will come a ruler, whose brow is laid in thorn, smeared with oil like David's boy, oh lei oh lai oh lord," I sing. I strum the lyre quickly, speeding up the tempo. I repeat the oh leis a few times before strumming the ending notes. Travis claps loudly, his grin huge.

"That was incredible! Wow, Camilla, you are so talented!" I blush furiously and mumble a thank you.

"He's right, you know." My head snaps up at the voice. In the kitchen doorway stands a ragged, albeit alive, Noah. I rush over to him and embrace him. With nearly no hesitation, he returns it, stroking my hair with his hand.

"I was so worried about you," I murmur into his shoulder. Noah chuckles.

"I can take care of myself," he counters.

"I know." I finally release him, scanning his body. He is completely covered in cuts and bruises, though none of them look too horrible.

"You really should wash up," I recommend. Noah nods. With a final wink, he turns and leaves.

"Was that song about Noah?" I startle slightly, having forgotten Travis was in the room.

"No, why?" I ask.

"He writes poems, especially lately. I saw one. It was beautiful," he adds. I hum thoughtfully.

"Um, Camilla?" A stammering voice draws my attention once again. Charlie stands there hesitantly, as if he's not sure what to do. I smile.

"How can I help you?" I ask happily. Charlie rubs the back of his neck nervously. Although Charlie is not one of the knights I converse with frequently, I have only good things to say about him.

"It has been a fortnight since I last saw my wife, Grace. Is it possible for me to go visit her?"

"Oh, of course, Charlie! It really is not necessary to ask my permission. Give Lady Grace my best." Charlie sighs in relief and mutters a thank you before leaving. Schlatt saunters into the kitchen.

"You should not have let him," he says darkly, beginning to prepare dinner.

"Why is that?" I request coldly. As far as I know, there is no good reason I should not have.

"Your safety is of utmost importance. Charlie leaving weakens your protection, thus leaving the kingdom's integrity vulnerable, your Highness," he retorts. Travis shifts uncomfortably on his stool as I cross my arms defensively.

"I am not one to deny a man of his wife. I find it quite unfair that Sir Charlie be trapped here without Lady Grace, as I certainly would not want that for me, nor for any one of you, Sir Schlatt." Schlatt shrugs and essentially ignores my protests, focusing on cutting up the vegetables.

"If anyone asks, I'm in the gardens," I instruct, swiftly heading for the outside door. The sun rests just above the horizon, casting a sort of golden glow across the gardens. I take my time walking to the gazebo, feeling each of the flowers as I run my hands across them.

When I finally reach the large, white gazebo, I slip off my boots, letting my bare feet touch the cool floor. The crisp night air tingles across my bare skin, giving me a strange sort of exhilaration.

I stand in the gazebo for quite some time, watching the sun gradually dip beneath the horizon. It is only once night descends that I am joined by someone else.

"Cooper," I greet fondly as he steps into the gazebo. He smiles and sets down a candle on the banister, approaching me. Without warning, he takes my hand, sweeping me into a waltz. I smile at the happy memories from the days of our childhood, waltzing around the palace together. I begin to sing under my breath. Cooper joins in, his soothing voice perfect for my higher one. I rest my head on his shoulder carefully, just soaking in the moment. I sing the end of the song, and draw back from Cooper. His face mirrors mine, a huge smile and bright eyes filled with child-like wonder.

"Dinner's ready," he informs me finally. I laugh lightly and take his arm, letting him guide me back inside, from a time when things were not quite so difficult, back to reality.