t w e l v e | THE AVATAR'S TEMPLE

now

"OF ALL THE STUPID, IDIOTIC, DANGEROUS THINGS you have done in your life, Zuko, this tops it all!" Tomoko chided in disbelief. "Sailing into Fire Nation waters?!"

Iroh was just as displeased as he stood beside the girl. "Of all the foolish things you have accomplished in your sixteen years, Prince Zuko, this is the most foolish." Iroh agreed.

"I have no choice." Zuko grunted as he watched The Avatar's bison through his spyglass.

"Have you completely forgotten that the Fire Lord banished you?!" Iroh scolded. "What if you're caught?" He pleaded.

"I'm chasing the Avatar! My father will understand why I'm returning home." Zuko replied angrily, turning to them.

"You give Ozai too much credit, Zuko." Tomoko argued. "Your mission is proof of his lack care or willingness to understand."

Zuko huffed irritably and looked back to the Avatar and his bison.

"Helmsmen,  full steam ahead!" Zuko shouted behind him.

Tomoko marched up to Zuko and grabbed him roughly, making him look at her.

"This is stupid. If you get caught, you'll be thrown in prison to rot. You know that your father won't care why you're returning home. Don't be so reckless!" She roared.

Zuko's eyes narrowed. "My father sent me on this mission. He wants the Avatar as badly as I do. These circumstances are something he can't just ignore." He hissed.

"You're going to get us all killed, Zuko!" Tomoko yelled.

"Since when were you such a coward?!" The Prince shot back venomously. He shoved her off of him, keeping his eyes trained on the beast in the sky. Tomoko felt her hands shake in rage.

Iroh put his hands on her shoulder, stopping her from continuing to argue with the boy. She looked at her guardian with anger, worry, and sadness. Iroh merely nodded to her, telling her silently that he understood. She sighed and looked away, brushing off his comforting hand and walked to the railing, firmly gripping it.

Behind her, she heard the trebuchet being docked onto the deck and loaded by the soldiers. She fought the urge to gag as she smelt the fire accelerant that coated the ammunition.

"On my mark." Zuko commanded, holding his hand high. "Fire!"

She watched as the fire ball was launched towards the Avatar and his bison. How was this supposed to help again? She thought. He'll be burned to a crisp by the time Zuko gets him.

The bison sharply dodged the fire ball. Oh, that's right. Zuko never thinks anything through.

As the boat approached the horizon, her eyes widened at a sight in the distance.

"A blockade!" She shouted.

Sure enough, in two neat rows there were many fire Nation ships. They all held their positions in a large line, blocking any passage from Earth Kingdom to Fire Nation waters.

She shook her head. "Oh, we are so screwed." She muttered to herself.

"Technically, you are still in Earth Kingdom waters. Turn back now and they cannot arrest you." Iroh advised.

Zuko ignored his Uncle's comment. "He's not turning around! Keep going!" Zuko reaffirmed to the helmsman.

"Please, Prince Zuko. If the Fire Nation captures you, there is nothing I can do!" Iroh pleaded. "Do not follow the Avatar."