f i f t e e n | PIRATES (pt. 1)

one week ago

ZUKO'S PALM CURLED AROUND a small, blue object. A blue ribbon threaded through a stone, water tribe marking carved into it's face. It was obvious who it belonged to; the Water Bender peasant that was traveling with the Avatar.

They had been here. His feet stood atop the metal floor of a Fire Nation prison, one specially designed for Earth Bending prisoners. The ocean was all that could be seen for miles. It was a wonder then, that the prison had been broken out of and every one of it's inhabitants run free.

No, the Prince was sure that the Avatar and his group of friends had been there. He just needed to find their trail.

---

now

The damage from the Great Storm, as the crew had titled it, was enough for the ship to dock at a Fire Nation colony's port in the South Western Earth Kingdom. Zuko (with the heavy encouragement from his Uncle and Tomoko) had been generous enough to let everyone have a whole day's rest at the port.

Well, that and the older man was missing his prized lotus Pai Sho tile. To say that Zuko was unhappy to find their course changed without his permission was an understatement.

Nonetheless, true to the deal that Iroh and Tomoko lived by, they were spending the day together. Oko had agreed to accompany her guardian in search of a replacement to his favorite tile. The sky was currently bleeding from low afternoon, on the edge of evening, and the sun was sinking lower and lower by the hour.

Tomoko's footsteps were light as she gazed upon the busy port, her stride falling with Iroh's.

"What exactly provides the lotus tile so much importance, Uncle?" Tomoko queried.

Iroh's knowing smile crept and a twinkle in his eyes gleamed. "Many undervalue the lotus' capabilities. But for my purposes and strategy, it works beautifully." He replied vaguely. "There are things in this world that have yet to be revealed, Oko. Never underestimate an opponent. Looks can often be deceiving." Iroh told her.

She nodded, only semi-understanding. "I guess the same could be said for our merry band of misfits. Zuko looks like he could kill you but he's really just a big baby." She joked, grinning slyly. Iroh chuckled shaking his head.

"Appreciate the unknown, Tomoko. The mystic arts are invaluable, and there is more to the world than just the four nations."

As the pair continued into the village port, Tomoko's eyes trailed sharply over the merchants. Many of them looked like ruffians and hardened criminals.

"Though I appreciate your optimism in the good of everyone, I'm not letting my guard down any time soon." She whispered lowly to her companion. Iroh merely nodded in understanding.

They ventured down the dirt streets, perusing the open stands and shops. Eyes followed their every move, and sneers were definitely shot the way of the fire benders.

Iroh conversed with shop owners, looking in vain for a lotus tile. As he talked with one owner, Oko's gaze shifted around her. She noted some of the shops around her. Though none of them seemed to be in the business of selling goods for women, she thought it'd be better than nothing and she might as well try. 

"I'll be right back Uncle. I just need to see if they have anything I need." She told him simply. Iroh nodded knowingly, urging the girl on her way. She browsed the stands, making sure to keep her Uncle in sight, but also searching for items necessary. Fortunately for her, she was able to find a kind woman with all of the supplies that she needed, and Tomoko was sure to give her a few extra silver pieces in return for her helpfulness.