s i x t e e n - PIRATES (pt 2)

now

THE NIGHT WAS CLEAR AND COOL, the sounds of the river water flowing past the small ships adding it's part to the symphony of crickets and owls in the dark. Atop the deck on one such craft, Tomoko stood, eyes scanning the treeline. As Zuko had confirmed to her earlier, both their party and that of the pirates were working together to find the Avatar and his friends.

Naturally, because of the theft of the waterbending scroll, it was an easy conclusion to come to that the prizes that both groups sought after were near water. 

Tomoko stood away from the pirate captain and his band of criminals, instead gripping the railing as she peeled her eyes and her ears open, hoping for any sign of the three kids and their flying bison. 

She felt the presence of her guardian beside her, his energy calm despite the circumstances. The older man could sense the girl's unease.

"So long as we cooperate with the pirates, they will have no reason to cause us trouble, Oko." He muttered quietly. Tomoko felt a slight scoff.

"I know you aren't that naive, Uncle. I don't trust them." She replied gruffly. 

She heard Iroh hum behind her. "Perhaps not." He said quietly. 

Further on the deck, she was aware of the low mutterings between Zuko and the Captain. Atop the pirate's shoulder was a bright green bird, the likes of which she had never seen before.

"I have a bad feeling about them. I can't explain it. It's an itch that I can't scratch." She uttered, her eyes moving to the small ship that the pirates navigated behind them. 

"I know better than to doubt an intelligent woman's instinct." Iroh agreed, shooting her a grin. Tomoko smiled slightly, a faint blush on her cheeks, before shaking her head. 

The two groups continued to sail through the waters, the moonlight lighting the way for them.

Tomoko felt her body slump slightly in exhaustion, and struggled to keep her eyes open. She had long since opted to take a seat next to Iroh on deck, finding comfort with him as the others were alert and on the search.

---

It had been hours when they suddenly heard a young girl's frustrated voice carried along the soft waves from the bank. 

"Shoot, come on water, work with me!" 

More frustrated grunting echoed with the splashes of water.

Silently, the firebenders and pirates alike worked to steer their ships to the shoreline. The screeching of metal meeting sand caught the waterbender girl's attention, her eyes moving from the river before her.

Katara carefully moved towards the source of the noise, moving as silently as possible. Her eyes were narrowed and brows were furrowed, and she pulled the foliage back to view the beach. She immediately spotted two small vessels: one she recognized that belonged to the pirates from their earlier encounter, the other unmistakably of Fire Nation craft.

She gasped softly. "Oh no."

Katara turned away, intending to get back to her camp, back to her brother and Aang. She was met with what felt like a wall, but had the shape of a tall and built pirate.

She cried out in surprise, shouting in protest when he grabbed her. "Let go of me!" She demanded, bending the water from the river at him at full force.