8: Burn After Reading

"Oh come on, Si Yang!" I groaned. My eyes averted back to the note written in slanted, neat handwriting.

I left for school early because I had to discuss tennis schedules with a teammate of mine. (Also because I'm the sibling with the punctuality genes.) There are a couple of fruits in the basket and bread and jam in the fridge, just text me if you need help. And go home early later so no one suspects us. -Si Yang

(Burn after reading :))

I rolled my eyes at his childish behaviour. Seriously, in front of his school, he could look as hard and cold as an unmoving stone, it's hard to believe that he even had a 'fun' side. He could have just sent a text message, but he decided to do it the old-fashioned movies way.

Either way, I had slept through my alarm this morning and I had twenty minutes to run to school. I yanked a banana out of the fruit basket and ran to my room to take my books. I had already changed into my new Yu Qing uniform, consisting of a white short-sleeved blouse with a blue ribbon tie at the collar, an outer grey vest, a navy-blue skirt with two white stripes at its rim that reached below mid-thigh, and black knee-high socks.

All I had to do was grab my phone and a couple of textbooks that I needed for lessons today and shove them into my bookbag. I peeled the banana and took a bite out of it as I stuffed my books into my bag haphazardly. I slotted my phone into my skirt pocket as I threw the bag strap over my shoulder. Crap, I can't be late on just my second day of school!

I dashed to the front door and snatched the keys off the counter, chewing on another mouthful of banana. What a messy way to start the morning, eating my meagre breakfast while racing towards the bus stop. Damn it damn it damn it. My hair that I had combed out hastily this morning was tousled by the wind, my bookbag pounding on my back as I ran. I threw my empty banana peel into the trashcan nearby, only slowing down for a fraction of a second to dispose of it. The bus stop was just a couple more metres away. I spotted the bus advancing towards the stop, and I picked up speed. I could just reach the stop in time!

I flew towards the stop and my hand grasped the signboard in relief as the bus rolled to a halt in front of me. Panting and out of breath, I stumbled into the bus and took my seat. I might just arrive two or three minutes before eight, if the bus doesn't slow down, I thought, at least I won't be late.

♡♡♡

I sprinted towards the entrance. Which building were the classrooms in...? I bit my lip. Probably the building to the left. I checked my phone lockscreen. 7.56 am. Alright, I was still on time, I could slow down now. My pace relaxed as I walked across the courtyard, breathing heavily and my chest heaving.

"Did you wake up late?"

I jolted at the sudden voice. Catching up to me and now by my side, was Zhuo Zhi himself, with his unwavering mild smile. Today, it looked a little more like a smirk to me, though. His pace matched mine as we walked towards the building.

"Not you again, Senior?" I sighed, calming down a little.

"Just a coincidence that I saw you running up here," Zhuo Zhi answered. "You look--"

"Like trash, I know," I cut him off and answered for him, a little flustered about my appearance. I smoothed out my skirt, which was cute but way too short for my liking. My previous uniform's skirt had to be at knee-length or below, which I was more comfortable with. My legs felt cold despite the long socks that went with the uniform, and I immediately became self-conscious. "I slept past my alarm this morning, and the rest was pretty rushed,"

Zhuo Zhi frowned a little as we reached the foot of the stairs and began climbing up. "I was about to say that you look... great, in your new uniform. It suits you, it makes you look like you belong here at Yu Qing,"