76: Into the Lair We Go, Fellas!

My fingertips slid over its rough rubbery surface after Qiao Chen dropped an object in my hands. I felt its patterned engravings in its skin as I studied its bright red and yellow colours under the light of the lamppost, my hands pulling it gently to test its elasticity. I raised my head to look at Qiao Chen doubtfully. "Seriously? This is your idea of a prank?"

"Excuse you," Qiao Chen sniffed scornfully. He lashed his prop out and I felt the rubber snap against my skin gently, leaving just a minor prick of pain. "You have no idea how effective these are against some people."

"They do look pretty real," Jia Le mused, studying his rubber snake painted in a rich blue and yellow as he stretched it in his hands. The snake's rubbery skin reflected a sufficient amount of light to make it look like a sleek, venomous and alive one. The pale white bottom of its stomach blended in a perfect gradient to its upper skin. Its black beady eyes peered at its victim menacingly. Even the smallest details were designed to appear realistic.

Ai Qi snickered at her own snake, which was of a simple shamrock green with no particular stripes or patterns. "It'll be funny to see a room of high school boys getting scared by these snakes. I should put one on the door so that it could fall on anyone who walks in."

Qiao Chen sniggered at the thought. His snake was coated with the colour of wheat and decorated with thick black stripes, resembling a cobra. "I have just two more for backup," he added, then dished two other snakes from his back pockets. He handed one more to Ai Qi while he kept the other in his possession.

Jia Le twirled his snake around his finger, intrigued by it somehow. "I would've liked to get back on you girls for dousing us with water from the North pole, but becoming partners-in-crime is even more fun," Jia Le cackled, then whipped his snake out to strike the sleeve of my t-shirt.

I glared mockingly at him, then flicked my snake back at Jia Le with a little more strength than intended. "It was just a nice gesture from us to give you a special wake-up call, Senior," I then glanced back to look through the glass doors of the building, ensuring that no one was spying on our conversation. "Should the guys be in the room by now?"

A look of consideration passed over Qiao Chen's features for a second, then he nodded hesitantly. "They should be. It's only just past 9 p.m., they can't be sleeping already."

"They'll be too drowsy to react properly if they're asleep. Then the prank won't be as much fun to carry out," Ai Qi noted.

"Exactly. That's why this prank will be better than the water prank!" Jia Le declared with a mischievous smirk.

"Geez, Senior Jia Le, you're just jealous that the prank we planned is much better than this one," Ai Qi grinned, sticking her tongue out at Jia Le.

"It's not jealousy," Qiao Chen butted in, indignant as he frowned at Ai Qi. "Senior is just stating facts."

"Ah ah ah," I raised a finger to silence Jia Le just before he was to back Qiao Chen up. "There's only one way to find out," I wiggled my eyebrows mysteriously. "Into the lair we go, fellas!" I pumped a fist into the air as my other hand stuffed my rubber snake under my shirt.

Ai Qi, Qiao Chen and Jia Le responded in a hushed battle cry. I giggled to myself as I pushed the sliding glass door open, glancing left and right to see that our surroundings were clear. I ushered the others in, with Qiao Chen coming in last. He slid the sliding door close quietly as I tiptoed around the corner of the hallway, making my way to the Yu Qing dorm room.

"Seniors?"

I gasped in fright and spun around to see a small figure coming in our direction from the other end of the hallway. Damn it, we were spotted. I gave an awkward smile and waved. "Uhh, hi, Qi Ying?"

"Who's that?" Jia Le peeked around the bend, asking in a curious voice. He took in a sharp breath as his gaze fell upon the shy girl. "Oh. Xiao Ying? What's up?"

"Senior Yue En. Senior Jia Le," Qi Ying began advancing towards us and I bit my bottom lip, apprehension trickling into my heart, unable to block her from the others' sights. Her eyes lingered on our figures, having to stare up since she was smaller than all of us. "... Seniors Ai Qi and Qiao Chen? Why is everyone out here so late?"

The tension was thick enough to be sliced with a butcher knife. "We..." Qiao Chen trailed off.

Ai Qi stepped up, putting a hand on Qi Ying's shoulder. "Qi Ying, how about you join us in on the plan? Hm?" She forced out a nervous laugh.

"P... plan?" Qi Ying questioned suspiciously.

"Yeah. Uhm," Jia Le interfered, nodding convincingly, although it looked more like it was to reassure us than Qi Ying. "A prank. On the guys. Are you in on it?" All of us held our breaths at the suspense while we waited for Qi Ying's reply.

"Another prank?" Qi Ying's eyebrows furrowed. "Auntie will be very angry if she finds out," She shook her head furiously, obviously panicked. "I won't tell Auntie, but if she hears you..."

"It's just a harmless prank, Qi Ying," Qiao Chen assured, still looking calm and composed as ever despite Qi Ying's reaction. "Coach Qi can't do anything."

"She's... she's not going to be happy if she hears any commotion," Qi Ying stuttered, looking anxious and having trouble choosing between us and her aunt. "Especially after the water balloon prank that morning!"

Ai Qi, Qiao Chen, Jia Le and I exchanged glances between each other. In each of our eyes were a glint of hesitation, yet determination. I let out an exhale of breath.

We all nodded in unison and as if via telepathy, we all dashed past Qi Ying and shot down the corridor to the dorm room.

I heard a gasp from Qi Ying far behind, who was stunned at our uncalled escape. Knowing Qi Ying's personality, she probably wouldn't report this incident to Coach Qi, but just preferred to not get her aunt upset at our behaviour. Qi Ying was too sensitive of a person to not want her aunt to get angry, yet she was too kind to dampen our fun. I grinned to myself, although feeling slightly bad for leaving Qi Ying in the dust. I was almost regretful and wanted to turn back, but I gritted my teeth and we continued to scamper down the corridor.

Jia Le beckoned us to position ourselves at the closed door of the Yu Qing dorm room. We braced ourselves, rubber snakes in our hands as we readied at the door, preparing for the attack.

"Time for the countdown," Qiao Chen whispered, his eyes gleaming with anticipation.

"Three," we said in hushed tones.

"Two."

"One!"

☆ ☆ ☆

Support The Love Score by giving your vote for this chapter! 🥰

~ Snowy ♡