Chapter 2

Day 1 Part 2

Adam came outside and locked the door. He left like he needed to let himself breathe. Eric was here with him everything was fine. But he couldn't worry if Eric was going to be sick. As he started walking down the pavement, he tried to calm his thoughts down. He took three deep breaths and thought to himself that it's going to be okay even if Eric falls sick. He would take care of him. He was with him now. Safe.

Adam continued walking down the pavement. He didn't have much work now as everyone was social distancing, working from home and no one was really concerned about training or grooming their dogs middle of a pandemic. The last two weeks had been lonely for him staying at home. As the days progressed, he had been more worrisome. He couldn't be more relieved despite all the worries he still had in the back of his head.

Cookiejar was leading the way ahead of the three dogs. She was always quite the explorer. She was the daughter of Madam and he had gotten her from his mother almost five years back. Baxter was a rescued pittie he got two years back from the shelter. He was the calmest of the lot. Always flashing his best smile. Olaf was a retriever pup he got four months back, also a rescue and about close to a year now. Olaf was a goofball, most energetic in the lot and he wasn't the most obedient. He always tries to keep up with Cookiejar and heck even often trying to surpass her. But Cookie is a boss, she would bark at him and establish dominance. There was no sign of Olaf calming down with age. Every time Adam would try to discipline him, Olaf would stick his pink tongue out and give him his best smile. This dog was beyond him.

Walking down the streets Adam could feel it was very different from most days

Walking down the streets Adam could feel it was very different from most days. The streets were almost empty as everyone was staying indoors, windows mostly closed. The city felt like a hollow shell of its former self. This wasn't the crowded New York he knew. To his disbelief, he was missing the loud noises of traffic, people passing by, vendors on streets, shops opened, and gatherings here and there. This felt too depressing. As he passed the subway, he saw a lady cleaning the handlebars along the stairs that goes down. Things were serious, he could feel it as a strange chill ran through his spine. The whole neighborhood seemed to have an eerie vibe to it. He didn't want to think about the increasing numbers worldwide and the panic he smelt in the air that he was breathing. Then for a fraction of second, it felt so real so dreadful. He took deep breaths and thanked god that Eric was with him.

He wasn't going to spend too long outside walking; it didn't feel safe. But he hadn't been outside for a long time and since morning he had been stress walking inside the apartment. He started returning back. Adam usually stops by a store run by an Indian man for a little chat. Occasionally buying bread or milk. Today he didn't want to go inside. If there was a chance that Eric was infected, Adam could have the germs too. If Eric is taking this quarantine thing seriously, he would too and not do something stupid like endangering others.

While coming back he let his mind wander off to distract himself from the outside world. The thought of spending time inside the house with Eric for two weeks really got him going. If it wasn't for the disease outbreak probably, they wouldn't have found alone time like this so easily. He couldn't stop thinking about spending every minute with Eric when he would get back home. Hear about all his stories from the time he spent in Milan and tell him about his time in New York. If he was being honest it sucked royally to be alone. Adam felt a sensation down his stomach when he thought of holding Eric close. To kiss his full lips. He almost got goosebumps thinking about Eric's flawless broad chest.