sleepycraft - j.s.

high school au, you and schlatt (jay) are seniors
prompt from cinnamonphilip's book

"You want anything?" Jay called from the kitchen.

"No, I'm good," you replied. You heard him make his way back to the living room with a glass of water for himself, where he sat next to you on the couch. You huddled deeper into your thick blanket, New York winter nights were brutal, even the inside of Jay's house was pretty cold.

"How are you not absolutely freezing right now?" you asked him, seeing as he seemed to be fine in just a long sleeve t-shirt and sweatpants. Meanwhile, you has the thickest blanket Jay could find in his house, a hoodie, and a long sleeve tee and sweatpants, but you were still slightly cold. He shrugged.

"Dunno," he said. Fair enough. "What do you wanna do?"

"Eh, I'm kinda tired, we can do whatever you want," you replied. The two of you had been hanging out almost all day, and while you had a blast, to say you were spent would be putting it lightly. Hanging out with Jay was fun, it always was, but all your energy was basically gone by the night.

"Oh, did you want me to take you home?" he asked.

"No, no, you shouldn't drive this late, I can walk home," you said, rubbing your eyes.

"Are you sure, (Y/N)?" he double checked. "The snow's getting pretty rough tonight."

"Yeah, yeah," you yawned right after. "It's all Gucci, J-money." Your lazy finger gun that followed your lame joke earned a chuckle from the both of you.

"Whatever you say, ya doof," Jay smiled. "You wanna play a game or something?"

"I mean, you can play and I'll watch?" you asked. It's not that you didn't want to play, you absolutely did, but you were just so exhausted.

"Cool, that's fine," he replied, grabbing the remote from the side table to turn on the TV. It was already connected to his Xbox, so he got up to turn the console on and pop in a game. As he was looking through his games, your eyes focused on a cover with a blocky character.

"What's that one?" you asked, pointing in the game's direction. Jay looked where you were pointing and picked up the game, smiling widely as he did.

"You've never heard of Minecraft?" he asked in disbelief.

"Hmm... I've heard the name, that's it" you said. You recalled seeing stuff about it on YouTube, that video website Jay loved so much. But that was the extent of your knowledge.

"Oh, I gotta show you this, then," he said, popping the disc in his Xbox and returning to the couch. You were too sleepy to realize he was sitting closer than before. "It's really something."

"Well, what's it about?" you asked.

You definitely weren't prepared for Jay's entire speech on 'the beauty, freedom, and endless creative possibilities within such a simple sandbox game', considering he went on and on for minutes. You simply looked over at him and smiled, seeing how the blue glow of the TV screen made his excited expression even brighter as he got further into his spiel. That's something you always loved about him, how passionate he was about the things he loved. Whether it was a video game, mechanical keyboards, the expanses of the universe, or some meme you couldn't even hope to understand, no matter how much he explained it. When Jay loved something, he really loved it.

"And then there's this thing called redstone that's kinda like... what?" he laughed, noticing your staring at him.

"Nothing, it's just—" you were interrupted by another yawn— "It's nice seeing you so happy."

You couldn't tell if you were just sleep deprived or if Jay was actually blushing a bit after that comment, maybe it was a mix of both. He looked back at the screen, trying to recover.

"Well— I, uh, um— th-thanks," he spat out. You chuckled as you returned your eyes to the screen as well, seeing what he had already started a new game.

"What're you doing?" you asked.

"Oh, well you see, I just started a new survival world, so I have to get wood to make tools." he said, thankful that the subject was changed. He walked his character over to what looked like a very blocky tree

"Ok, well, how do you do that?"

"By punching a tree 'til it breaks, of course!" he explained. Suddenly his character started doing exactly that, and soon a chunk of tree was gone from the trunk and floating on the ground in front of him.

"Whack," you replied, yawing once more.

"You sure you don't want me to drive you home?" he asked, looking over at you.

"I can walk, Jay," you said. "I couldn't ask you to drive this time of night, especially in this weather."

He sighed, clearly not changing your mind. "Fine, fine."

"Wait... why's the tree floating?" you asked, squinting at the screen to make sure you were seeing correctly.

"Hm?" he looked back at the TV. "Oh, gravity doesn't exist in this game," he explained as he took down the rest of the tree. "Well, unless we're talking about sand or gravel."

"This game doesn't make much sense," you said, unconsciously resting your head on Jay's shoulder.

He froze, not knowing what to do. He felt his cheeks heat up and his heart beat faster at the sudden sign of affection. He was silent, eyes widen and brain scrambled, like he suddenly forgot the English language. He barely noticed your yawn, he was so startled.

You noticed he'd tensed up, "Jay? You ok?" you asked sleepily. Your voice was dropping both in volume and strength, you didn't know how much longer you could be up for.

"I— yeah, it's nothing," he tried to cover up his embarrassment. Thankfully, you were too tired to notice, or care, about that. "Here, let's go chop some more trees."

"Whatever you say, block man," you replied.

Jay spent the next few minutes gathering more wood, letting his mind wander. He couldn't seem to figure out why, after years of a completely platonic relationship, one that had lasted since middle school, suddenly made him flustered. He had seen you as nothing more than a friend in all that time, so why did the sudden compliments and physical affection startle him so much? Maybe he just wasn't used to that kind of thing... yeah, that must've been it. He just wasn't expecting it, that's all. His resource gathering and train of thought was halted when he realized he hadn't heard you say anything in a bit.

"(Y/N)?" he called, only to be met with silence. He looked down to see you fast asleep on his shoulder, barely poking through your blanket. You were too peaceful, he couldn't stand to wake you up to take you home. He simply turned his attention back to his game, smiling as he walked his character out of the forest.

Yeah... that was it.

[1166]
interpret the end however you want i guess lmao
also thank y'all so much for almost 6k reads,, holy shit!!!
aHh anyways i hope y'all enjoyed,, i'm pretty proud of this one!! stay safe and ily :D