Don't Leave Me

This features: Lydia Deetz, Barbara Maitland, Adam Maitland, Charles Deetz, Emily Deetz

Warning: The character has abandonment issues and the story also contains death.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lydia had experienced enough dreams to conclude that the world probably hated her, because every single time she closed her eyes, she would relive her mother's death and the dream always ended when she tried to investigate a door that emitted bright green light and ghostly mist. It killed Lydia that she had full control over her mind when this happened, but she couldn't do anything about it as she helplessly watched her mother's heart monitor go blank time after time. (Please don't attack me for that. My adolescent ass brain doesn't know anything about hospitals and equipment. It would be nice to hear in the comments if anyone knows what it's called though)

She hated this dream with every ounce of her being, and it was obvious that she was simply cursed and doomed as she fell into a slumber and was forced to endure the vision once again.

"Lydia, come on, let's go. I'm sure your mother wants some peace and quiet." Charles murmured softly, squeezing her shoulder gently. A younger version of herself stood next to her mother's hospital bed, delicately holding her hand. Tears brimmed in the teen's eyes as she tried to stay with her mother. She wouldn't leave her. She would stay as long as fate allowed, her which wasn't reassuring as fate was a cruel mistress. Fate would hold the happiness out to her, so close that she could bask in its intoxicating warmth and contentment before it was instantly yanked out of her reach, leaving her helpless as she drowned in the icy pit of despair and grief.

"Please, not yet. I can't lose her." Lydia begged, her voice hoarse from crying as she squeezed her mother's hand as hard as she possibly could. Maybe if she held on, she could keep the final shards of Emily's life intact, and they could endure it, together.

Lydia didn't cry very often. The first time she had cried was when her parents had gone out on a honeymoon and left her with a babysitter who just gave her the cold shoulder and left her alone. It was the first time she had ever experienced genuine loneliness. In general, Lydia savored and craved the quiet solitude. The blissful silence helped her process her thoughts and work, but it felt very different to know that there was no one outside the door and that no one cared. It had always been reassuring for her to know that someone was there waiting, even if she was getting grounded. (Which rarely happened)

In Lydia's eyes, being ignored and treated with apathy and indifference scared her most of all. It was her worst fear and the worst kind of rejection. It was similar to the feeling of knowing that someone was capable of helping but actively chose to ignore her. It was like being trapped in the icy prison in the ninth circle of hell, seeing others who could help, but being condemned to eternal isolation as all feelings of warmth and belonging mocked her, only an inch beyond reach.

Lydia snapped back to reality as her mother's thumb comfortingly caressed her hand. She knew that it took all of her mother's strength and will to send her the sign. She felt tears brim her eyes, but she couldn't bring herself to cry now. This was her last chance to say goodbye to her mother, which made her feel both blessed and cursed at the same time. Lydia was wiser than she let on and had an interesting way of perceiving things. She knew that she was very lucky to claim the chance of talking to her mother for the last time. Many people never saw the end coming, and when it struck, they were too late, and the last hours had gone to a shameful waste like final words that were never spoken.

"Lydia." Emily's exhausted voice croaked. Lydia had instantly turned towards her, her eyes begging with unspoken desperation. Emily gazed at her daughter lovingly as a subtle chuckle emerged from her throat. It was strange given the situation and Lydia just wanted to break down and sob or scream hysterically at that point. None of this was funny, but Emily Deetz, her mother, was strange and unusual, just like her, and it was definitely an endearing trait. Lydia loved all the stunts her mother would pull, doing the stupidest things in hindsight. She had always been the stable and calm parent, acknowledging pain, understanding, and bringing the family together when no one else could. She could already feel the weight of her loss, barrelling on her shoulders like the burdening way Atlas held up the sky.