Chapter 3: "I'm sorry about the plants."

Nyla's POV

I huff as the girl looks up at me. And that's when I take in her appearance. She's wearing a ripped up T-shirt with stripes going across her chest. She's also wearing suspenders, but one of them is slightly burnt and hanging off her hip. Her pants look like she decided to roll around in a pile of coal. No shoes are on her feet.
Her hair is long and curly. One big bush of chocolate brown. There's Golden highlights that seem to shine like someone made thread out of the sun and laced it into her hair. It reaches to her lower back, while the top of her hair frames her face. Her skin looks slightly luminescent in the moonlight.
There's a small scar cutting vertically through her right eyebrow. 'I wonder where she got it from...' I think to myself idly. Her long dark curly lashes frame two different colored eyes. Her left eye is a dark purplish hue, sparkling ever so slightly in the scarce light. The right eye is a strange glassy light green color, almost as if she's blind. But that can't be. That eye is focused keenly on my own. She can see out of it. It's just a milky green shade. One I've never seen before. I like it. She looks at me with a confused expression.

"Um...Hello, I suppose," she says quietly. Her voice is melodic, as if she's spent her life singing and it's been ingrained into her everyday speech.

I glare daggers at this girl, "My flowers." I state angrily. "You crushed. My favorite flowers."

She winces at my tone. "I'm really sorry about the plants. Honestly, I am. Aiming is difficult when your cells are rearranging. I suppose humans don't do that, do they? How strange."

Who in the world is this girl?
She tries to stand up, only to end up tumbling down. Her cheeks are flushed just from standing up. She must be injured. I hear her groan into the grass below her.
She mumbles something that I don't quite catch.

"Could you repeat that?" I ask.

She lifts her head and huffs, "Could you tell me where I am? I know it's Earth, but the year number would be fantastic to know as well. Wouldn't want another Elvis fiasco."

I blink. She stares. It's silent for three minutes before I state, "You don't know the year number." It's not a question. It's a statement of a fact. She doesn't know the year. She doesn't know where she is. She also fell out of the sky in a blue box. I always said I wanted excitement in my life, but this isn't exactly what I had thought of.

"Yes, I don't know the year. Last time I was here Caesar gave me a salad to wear on my head. Or was it a wreath? You never know with him."

"That's doesn't make any sense, you know."

She smiles sweetly, "I'm aware. What's your name, strange one?" Her voice takes on a teasing lilt.

I blanch at her words. "I'm the strange one???"

She nods as she starts looking over her hands as though she's never looked at them before. Her fingers are long and slim, also slightly freckled along her knuckles. "Name, please." She repeats.

"I asked you first!" I remind her, more than a little fed up at this point. I push my glasses further up my nose.

"I go by many names." She answers vaguely. And heck no am I taking that as an answer. Not when she just busted into my life with no warning.

"Name! Now! You're the one who landed in my garden!" I demand. I at least deserve this much! For the sake of my flowers so I know who to curse when I have the replant them.

She sighs, then tilts her head as she thinks. "Mm...I'm not sure. I can't exactly remember. The memories are still regenerating. I'm not even supposed to exist at this point! Fourteen regens! That's incredible by my species standards! I'll tell you my name when I remember it. But what's yours?"

I hesitate.

Why should I tell her? She's some mad woman with a box!

But my lips betray me. My body works faster than my mind as I say with absolute certainty;

"My name is Nyla Jones."