Chapter Four: So Does the Phone Outisde Work, Or what?

Nyla's POV
The girl looks at me in contemplation before stating, "I rather like that name. Never heard that one before! And trust me, that's a lot coming from me!"
I raise an eyebrow.
Just where has she been? Is she a traveler? In her bloody blue box that's still smashing my precious violets? "Just where have you been to make it a big deal to never have heard my name?"
She chuckles a little, "The more accurate question is where haven't I been. Loads of different planets, moons, stars, hunks of matter hurtling through space and time. The life of a Timelord is never easy, you know. Lots of death..." Her eyes get this empty, vacant look about them. They start to shine ever so slightly with what I can only assume are tears.
'Oh please don't cry! I never know what to do when people cry!' My brain goes into panic mode very quickly. 'Distract her!' It screams, and so I blurt our the first thing that comes to mind,
"Why the police box?"
That seems to snap her out of it, because she blinks rapidly for a second before looking up at me. "What?"
I reiterate my wonderful distraction; "Why the Police Box?"
She manages to sit up and rest her hands on her knees as she sits on her legs that are crossed beneath her. "Well...I'm not sure, to be honest. It's just always been like that. I don't think anyone's ever asked me why it's a police box. Why? Do you not like it?"
'What?' Confusion is the main emotion controlling me as of now.
She keeps taking, despite my silence, "She won't like that you don't like her look. She's quite proud of her paint! Plus the insides all nice and spruced up. I believe she's picked the circles again," She turns to the box, "Did you pick the circles again?"
'Oh, she's right mad.' I muse to myself.
But to my utter shock, the box seems to whir with that same strange noise it made before decimating my violets.
The girl turns back to me with a bright, sunny smile. "She did pick the circles! I love the circles. Do you want to see?"
I nod hesitantly, because really, what am I going to see? The inside of a police box, obviously.
With circles.
Apparently.
But then the girl starts to stand up, not wobbling anymore. She turns to the box and pats it's side. I hear her mumble something like, 'don't worry, she doesn't know what she's talking about. You're beautiful.'
Then she opens the door and steps inside, holding the door open for me.
I follow, not really paying close attention. Not until I realize I've taken about ten steps into what is supposed to be a tiny police box.
I yank my head up and look around in stunned awe.
'It's huge!' I start trying to take in every detail. It seems warm, and homey on the inside. Decorated with dark greens and navy blues. 'The Circles' are apparently large circular lights scattered across the walls. They shine a sunny yellow, casting the room in warm light. But In the middle of the room looks to be a large console. Full of all kinds of different levers and Buttons, and keyboards. In the center of the console is a large tube, with what appears to be a misty substance. It whirls around and shimmers inside, a once again golden hue.
Behind the console is a large spiral staircase. It leads up to a floor that consists of a bookshelf, that wraps around the whole wall. There's other doorways that lead to who knows where.
I spin around and stare at the girl. She's smirking in the doorway, looking unbelievably smug. "Gorgeous, isn't she?"
I glance back at the room before turning back to her. Words don't come to mind, so I just nod shakily.
She walks past me and smiles a genuine smile now. "This old girl has helped me through countless adventures. She's seen as much as I have, if not more." She sounds like she's speaking of an old friend. And by her words, I suppose she is.
My brain seems to restart, but unfortunately, it's still in idiot mode. So I say the only easily answered question I can think of.
"So does the phone outside work, or what?"
She turns back to me with a very confused yet amused face.
"You're in a police box that's bigger on the inside. There's a large console with buttons, and I've fallen out of the sky into your flower bed. And yet...the first thing you ask besides what my name is...is if my phone works?"
Well now that she says that, I feel rather dumb. "Well, I was wondering if it's just for show?"
She seems exasperated as she huffs, "No, it's a working phone. Happy?"
I nod.
I'm about to start asking the hard questions when she gasps and starts flapping her hands frantically up and down.
"What?" I ask, a little scared at her excitement.
"I remember now! I know what they call me!"
This peaks my interest, "And?"
She smiles ever so happily and offers her hand for me to shake.
"Hello! I'm the Doctor!"