Apple Blossoms

Apple Blossoms are strongly fragrant flowers that were honored by the ancient Celts as a symbol of love and would often decorate their homes with it. According to a Biblical story, Apple Blossoms symbolize a sense of promise. Dreams of Apple Blossom flowers symbolize a long life and great success in the field of trade and commerce.

— — —

"What?! You're thinking of relocating to Gangnam-gu?" Subin asked incredulously.
"Yes, quiet down," I replied, looking around at the other customers in the cafe.
"Isn't that over your budget, Bella? Plus, what's wrong with Namsan-gu?"
"Other than I get no business? I don't know, Subin." I sipped my coffee. "I guess there's just too many other bookstores there."
"And you think going to the wealthiest district with an overwhelming nightlife is going to bring in bibliophilic customers?"
"There's a strategy in my head. I'm planning to ask my dad to cover the monthly lease until I earn back enough."
"Will he agree?" She furrowed her brows in concern.
"I don't know, but I'll have to try. I'll use the rest of my budget to do redecorating and get more books."
"Why do you need to do that? I thought the design looked fine as it was, and there are a variety of books already." She crossed her arms with a raised brow.
"The design I went for was far too simplistic and modern that it fails to capture the attention of youths. It's just like any other bookstore or library. Also, most of the books I had available could be bought from any other, so what's to prevent customers from purchasing from their local store? I mainly had classics and plain novels. Let's not forget I even had textbooks in stock. Can you imagine my naivety? To think people would come in and buy textbooks here in Namsan-gu!" I explained, breathless.
"What's wrong with textbooks and modern interior?" Subin shrugged. "A lot of students and young to middle-aged office workers live here, so you're actually providing more availability to them. Do you know how many students can't afford textbooks? If they visited your store, they could use them for references, and I know for a fact you wouldn't mind them coming in to borrow it until they earn enough money to buy it."
"Did it happen though, Subin? Did it happen?" I questioned.
"I don't know. I don't work there."
"The answer is no. That is why I'm moving to Gangnam-gu."
"As I said, Gangnam-gu is the party district. What makes you think people are going to go to your bookstore to buy or read books?"
"My old friend in Georgia, Atlanta told me I should redecorate the store into a warm, homey place with lots of lights then have a variety of comic books along with the novels and textbooks. Moreover, I should have a snack area where the youths can eat and chat too, so I will have a small cafe service as well." I beamed at her, expecting her reaction.
"Um, that sounds like a lot of work and more money to me." She frowned at my friend's idea. "Why risk failing and becoming indebted in Gangnam-gu when you can stay here?"
"So you're saying I'm going to fail?!" I threw my hands up. "Have some faith in me, Subin!"
"I'm trying to be realistic here, Bella," she remarked. "Does your friend even have any experience in the business area?"
"Yes, she owns a cafe in Georgia, and she decorated it to attract lots of customers."
"Bella, foreigners' Western tastes are different than us Koreans."
"That may be so for the older people but not youths," I defended my friend's credibility in giving me advice.
     She sighed and leaned back into her seat. "Well, I can't change your mind so go for it. I'll chip in some money if you need any."
"Thank you very much, my dear chingu, but that will be absolutely unnecessary. I made sure my interior choices were well within my allowed budget. Exempting the lease, of course."
"I just hope your dad has the heart to help you out," she remarked.
"I hope so too..." I gripped the drink in my hand with worry.

— — —

I kicked a pebble along the pavement as I walked down the sidewalk to Subin's studio. She was a photographer for a modeling agency.
"Bella!" she called out to me, and I lifted my head to see her waving enthusiastically with a smile on her round face framed by short waves.
     I put a small smile on my face and waved back as I jogged over. "Hey, Subin." I embraced her, and she returned it.
"I'm super grateful you agreed to help model for us. Again. Sorry, my boss just wanted foreigners to be in our portfolio."
"It's alright," I responded as I looked up at her. She was a bit taller than me because I was short for a British woman.
"Oh, by the way, how did it go, Bella?" Subin questioned. "Did your dad agree to cover your monthly lease?"
     A frown slowly took over my face, and I sobbed in her arms. "Ahhhhh, Subin-ah haaa haaaaa," I cried out.
"What? What's wrong? He said no, didn't he?" She patted my back for comfort as I nodded my head against her shoulder. "Oh, my poor baby."
"I mean, I didn't expect him to say yes but still. How can he be so ruthless to his only daughter? I just wanted freedom and came here to Korea! Why can't he support me? What am I going to do?" I sniffled and pulled back then wiped my tears.
"Well, modeling for us a few times brings in quite a sum, and I can chip in a bit. I also suggest you forget about adding a cafe service and only spend on decorating. You can do that after you earn a bit more."
"B-But I don't want to borrow your money, a-and it's still not going to be enough." I frowned again, on the verge of letting out another waterfall from my eyes.
"Well, we'll figure it out somehow. Okay?" She squeezed my hand as assurance. "Wait, does your fiancé know about this?"
     I shook my head vigorously. "No, no, no, absolutely not! Jinwoo cannot know about this."
"And why is that?" She raised a brow. "He can help you since he's got the cha-ching." She rubbed her fingers together as a sign of money.
"That's exactly why I don't want him to know! I don't want to depend on him! I'll look like I'm leeching off of him." I frowned profusely. "Don't even think of telling him about my situation. I'll figure it out myself. . .somehow." Subin sighed.
"Okay, sure. Whatever you say, Bella." She shook her head. "Let's go upstairs now." I walked ahead of her, and she followed behind me. A few days later, I had started decorating the interior of the bookstore after asking for an extension to pay the lease. My dad was adamant about refusing to help me, so I had to persuade my landlord to give me a bit more time. Luckily, he was nice enough to understand and gave me a strict timeframe for it.
I sighed loudly after checking the time on my phone as I waited for my fiancé and asked, "How am I going to find that amount of money in two months?"
"What money, Bella?" Jinwoo questioned as he hugged me from behind, surprising me.
"Dear God, Jin, you scared me!" I expressed with a hand to my heart.
"Sorry, bb." He kissed my cheek as an apology.
"Apology accepted. Where are we going?"
"Just walk with me, and you'll see," he replied. Then, he entwined our fingers and pulled me along down the street. Soon, we come to an opening with a small stream in between two streets covered by large apple blossom trees. My jaw dropped open as I gawked at the beautiful flowers, and he chuckled. "Amazing, right?"
"It's absolutely breathtaking, Jin!" I exclaimed as my eyes sparkled with delight. "I didn't even remember it was the time of year where they would be at full bloom."
"Because you've been so busy with your bookstore, Bella. I took you here because I wanted you to relax and forget about it for a while."
"I really wish I can, Jin. . .It's just—"
"You're tight on money?" he interrupted me, and I looked at him in shock. How did he know? Ma Subin!!!!!
"Jin, that's—"
"Don't worry about it, Bella. I took care of it already."
     My eyes widened with furrowed brows. "You what?! Song Jinwoo!" I was about to complain when he pulled me into a gentle hug. "Jin. . ."
     He stayed silent as he patted my back. "I know you didn't want to rely on me because you'd feel like you're depending on me too much, but Bella, I want you to. I'm about to become your husband in a few months, and I want you to share every bit of hardship with me too. I can't let my wife-to-be suffer alone."
"But Jinwoo, I wanted to be independent. I thought I could do everything by myself. . ." I buried my face into his chest.
"You don't have to carry everything by yourself just to prove your dad wrong. He may have been a bit stingy about your move to Korea, but he loves and cares for you; he's been scared for you since you moved to a foreign country by yourself. He'll soon come to understand your decisions. But for now, just focus on yourself and your health. You have me by your side, and I don't plan on leaving any time soon."
"God, you are literally the best thing that has happened to me, Jinwoo." I hugged him even tighter, cherishing the moment. "Thank you for saving me. . ."
"No, you saved me the moment you stood up to my family for me, Bella." I pulled away from him and stared into his chocolate eyes. "I am so thankful that you love me for everything that I am and not, and I will do the same for you." He kissed my brown head lovingly.
"When you said you took care of it, does that mean you paid the lease?"
He nodded and replied, "Only for two months because I know you want to pay the rest by yourself."
"You know me so well, bb." I tapped his small nose, and he smiled. "Thank you, Jinwoo," I said sincerely.
"You're welcome and I wish you great success in that bookstore."

— — —

"Ma'am, can I get another refill?" a female student asked as she sat at a round table by the window.
"Of course, right away, miss," I responded cheerfully.
"I also want one, Mrs. Song," a middle-aged man voiced from the opposite side of the room with a book in his hands.
"Be right there, Mr. Chae." I smiled widely at him; he was a regular.
"Mrs. Song, how much was the whole series of 'The Vigilante'?" my worker, Soyeon, asked quietly.
"It's ₩61,466.18." She hurried back to the cash register at the back to tend to a customer. It's been a few months since I opened my bookstore in Gangnam-gu, and business was booming, unlike how Subin had originally thought.
I can't thank my husband and friends enough for supporting me, but I think that little trip Jinwoo took me to see those apple blossom trees really changed it all for me. I remember that day clearly, and as he comforted me in his arms, I swear the petals of those flowers were waving at me, wishing me good luck in my future endeavors.

 I remember that day clearly, and as he comforted me in his arms, I swear the petals of those flowers were waving at me, wishing me good luck in my future endeavors