Lavenders

Lavenders are spike-like flowers composed of multiple florets and elegant stems. They come in different colors like light purple, blue, and violet. They are quite famous for their size, smell, and beauty. Lavenders represent purity, silence, and luck; they also symbolize devotion. These flowers are usually gifted to people for luck, wealth, and wisdom. Purple-colored lavenders stand for royalty, elegance, and refinement; they also promise new adventure.

— — —

It's a Saturday night, and I want to go straight home after work because I'm tired from all the paperwork ever since my ex-wife caused trouble with the divorce and demanded a portion of my company shares as compensation for the 'mental damage', but my management team decided to hold a dinner and invited me along.
     As an open-minded CEO, I accepted their invitation, and now, I'll have to sit with them while they chat and drink more than they decide to eat. Who am I to judge though? A drink after a long day's work sounds like an ideal way to end the night; however, I tend to refrain from allowing myself to indulge in these desires unless I truly cannot deal with the daily stress.
     "I wonder how long the team dinner will go on for. . ." I mumble as I organize my desk and grab my black lapel coat.
     Someone knocks on my door and enters. "Mr. Kaiser, our team's going to be having the dinner at Ganymed Brasserie," one of the female employees from the team informs me.
     "Why there? Isn't it costly?" I question with a raised brow, and she gives an uneasy smile.
     "It's to suit you, sir. That's what Günter said."
     "You guys should go someplace that you're comfortable in. Don't choose it according to my tastes."
     "It's fine, sir. We don't mind going there either. We've been meaning to try the food there."
     I purse my lips then nod firmly. "I'll meet you guys there then."
     "Yes, see you there, sir." She smiles a little and then exits my office. Although she says that, I know they feel they should find someplace 'worthy' of my presence because this is the first time I'm going to eat with them. They'd rather be slightly uncomfortable at a different scene than let me, their boss, dine at a regular restaurant.
     I thought if I acted more friendly and engaged with my employees they would relax around me, but I guess it just made them more alert; they're not used to me checking up on them, providing detailed feedback, encouraging them, and treating them to commodities I decided to add in the lounge. Hmm, maybe they'll change after this dinner since we'll probably converse more freely.

— — —

I hate to admit this, but I was naive to believe our work relationship would be more at ease; the atmosphere here is rather tense and dry ever since I got here. I purposely reached ten minutes late to allow them time to prepare for my arrival, but it is to no avail.
However, I did witness they were more relaxed before they spotted me walking toward their table. I am cutting into my steak for another piece when I notice one of them nudge the other from the corner of my eye.
     "Come on, say something. You're the team leader," Monika whispers to Günter who is next to me.
     He rubs his side then laughs nervously before clearing his throat and turning towards me. "How's the food, Mr. Kaiser? Does it suit your palate?" he questions.
     "Yes, it's great. What about you guys?" I ask, looking at my employees, then take a sip of my red wine.
     "As you said, it's quite delicious, sir." Petra, the department transfer, answers energetically with a wide smile. Another of their subordinates does some kind of facial signal that makes her panic a little, and I hold my tongue.
Am I that intimidating? Maybe it's my neutral face that gives off a different aura. My sister has informed me before that I look condescending on the regular. I'm not used to smiling around them since there's not an occasion that calls for it.
"Sir, we're planning to go to karaoke after this, would you like to join?" Monika asks.
"I'm alright, I'm planning on heading home after. You guys have fun though." Going to such a place has never been my type of scene. I'd rather not embarrass myself in front of my employees.
After dinner, the group heads to some karaoke place while I decide to relax a little bit more since I already drank some wine. I walk to my car to ditch my suit coat and tie then ruffle my hair loose of its style.
The closest bar is only a two-minute walk from the Ganymed Brasserie; it's located inside the Leonardo Hotel Berlin Mitte. I decide to choose the scenic route and walk along Bertolt-Brecht-Platz, which looks out to the river.
As I'm strolling down the street, I unbutton the top of my shirt and roll up my sleeves to feel more at ease. This, however, causes several women to watch me favorably, and I sigh a little.
I am greeted by the hotel staff as I make my way to the bar, and I'm glad to see it's actually quite empty inside, except for a young couple by the wall and a woman dressed in maroon sitting at the counter. She seems to be tipsy since she has her head leaning against her hand.
"A glass of '05 Bodegas Roda Cirsion, please," I tell the bartender, and he nods. I lean back into my chair with my hands in my pockets and glance furtively at the woman. She seems to have an unfinished bottle of champagne beside her.
Now that I take a better look, she has some attractive features to her; silky thick brown hair, long lashes, a pointed nose, light freckles, a deep Cupid's bow, pink heart-shaped lips, strong bone structure, and an overall healthy complexion.
Her eyes flutter open, and she catches me looking into her gleaming virescent pupils. Her gaze drops to my hand, and she looks at it for a while, slightly biting her bottom lip. Then, her gaze returns to match mine.
"That watch looks nice on your wrist," she compliments softly. Could it be she recognizes the brand and wants to get close to me? I don't have time for this. Maybe I shouldn't have come here after all. The bartender passes my drink to me, and I take it. I might as well finish the wine at least. "Are you not going to say thank you?" the woman asks with furrowed brows and something that could be a pout.
The glass stops at my lips, and I ask, "To you or the bartender?" Her eyes widen a bit as if surprised by my lowered voice. Why did it do that?
"Now that you point it out, both of us." She points to the both of them, and I look at the bartender who doesn't seem to care as he cleans a wine glass with a black fabric.
"Thank you, sir," I say to him, and he nods once again. Then I turn to her and sip my wine.
     She frowns at my action; it's a little adorable. "What about me?" Her arm moves back a little, and I lean in to grab the champagne bottle before she pushes it off the counter. She shrinks back due to our proximity.
"Thank you for your kind observation, miss," I reply, and she blinks a few times. I move back into my seat then hand the bottle to the bartender, and I can feel her gaze on me.
"What's your name?" she questions, and I raise a brow.
"Why do you wish to know?" My name would be of no use to her once one of us leaves this bar tonight.
"Should I not find out the name of the person I'm conversing with?" She makes a good point.
     I think about it for a while before deciding it should be fine. "Fynn Kaiser, miss."
"Fynn Kaiser," she repeats softly. For once in a while, my name sounds pleasant coming out of a woman's mouth. "You smell like lavender, Mr. Kaiser." She smiles a little, and I notice she has a dimple on her left cheek. I avert my gaze and sip my wine again. "You don't usually thank people, do you?"
I look at her and ask, "And your name?" She hides her mouth with her hand, and the ends of her almond-shaped eyes turn upward. She's trying not to laugh.
"I'm afraid I'm going to have to keep it a secret, Mr. Kaiser." She brought a finger to her mouth and winked. I got tricked, didn't I? I look at the red wine inside my glass, and a smile makes its way onto my lips. She gasps a little, and I watch her in confusion. "So you do know how to smile. . ." She feigns shock, and yet again, I find myself feeling amused by her. My smile gets wider, and she says, "You should smile more, Mr. Kaiser. It looks great on you."
     I stare at her for a while before taking another sip of my wine. "You are quite weird, Ms. Mystery Name."
"Am I now? And is that really the nickname you have for me?" She chuckles lightly, and I nod. "That's the best? It's not even catchy. What about 'Ms. Eccentric?' Isn't that better?" I don't answer her and drink my wine. "Oh come on, Mr. Kaiser." I feel a hint of a smile appearing on my lips again, and she tilts her head cutely. "It is, isn't it? I know you agree," she jokes, and I huff out a short laugh.
The rest of the evening goes on with us conversing here and there with me smiling more and getting more comfortable. Eventually, I notice her dozing a little, probably from the alcohol. I pay for her drinks as well and help her out of her seat.
"Are you staying in this hotel?" I ask, and she shakes her head. It would be inappropriate if I ask for her address though. I should just book a room for her, and when she sobers up, she can leave herself. We're walking to the lobby when her body slumps a little, and I quickly catch her from falling. "My apologies, but you cannot walk right now so please excuse me." I put her arms around my neck and lift her up to carry her in my arms. Her head falls onto my shoulder, and I make my way to the receptionist.
     The lady behind the counter glances at her in my arms before giving an uneasy smile. "How may I help you, sir?" she questions politely.
"I'd like to get a room for this lady here immediately," I respond softly so as not to wake her up.
"Of course, I'll check our available rooms right now."
"Please give her a comfortable and safe one. As you can see, it'll just be her."
     The receptionist gives a relieved smile and nods. "Yes, no problem, sir." Her fingers tap the keyboard a few times before she grabs a room card and hands it to me. "Her room is 307 on the third floor. Have a good night, sir."
"Thank you, you too." I enter the elevator and wait for it to reach the third floor.
     As I'm standing inside, the nameless woman stirs in my arms. "Mm, Mr. Kaiser," she mumbles, and I look down at her. "You smell like lavender. . ." She nudges her head into my neck, and I feel her lips brush against my skin. My whole body tenses, and I hold my breath for a second. Does she like the scent of lavender that much?
The elevator stops, and I quickly get out. I strategically swipe the room card, unlock the door while holding her and enter, then I push the door shut with my foot. I carry her to the bed then pull the blanket loose, take off her heels, and gently lay her down. She gets comfortable on it, and I smile at how peaceful she looks.
"Good night, Ms. Eccentric," I whisper before placing my hand over her forehead and kissing it chastely.

— — —

I'm working inside my office when I hear my employees welcoming the new intern that came in today. I resume my work until someone knocks on my door.
"Come in," I respond without looking, and they open the door.
"Good morning, sir. I'm Lena Sauer, and I will be working as an intern from today on," she states. My hand stops writing, and I look up to see the face that matches the familiar voice.
     A small smile spreads across my face as I lean into my hands. "Didn't expect to see you again, Ms. Eccentric."
"I'm sorry?" she responds as she looks up, and we lock eyes. Her face was truly expressing confusion until her gaze lands on the watch on my wrist for a while, and I can see the wheels turning inside her brain. Her eyes widen as they meet mine again. "Mr. Kaiser. . .I apologize for not recognizing you, you look diff—" she stopped herself from continuing, and I chuckled. I understand how she could've forgotten me since it's been quite some time since then.
"Well, I did look less like my office self outside of business hours," I remark. "It's good to finally know your name, Ms. Sauer. I look forward to working with you and seeing what you're capable of." She gives a nervous smile and looks off to the side with contrition.

" She gives a nervous smile and looks off to the side with contrition