Chapter 13: Going Rogue (Chase)

It's been half an hour ago since Darwin was captured by those 'Fate Watch' bastards, now all I do now is rest inside a gloomy bookstore—but they're still wandering around here. The scratched, dirty glass entrance with a walk through metal detector on the center shows the outside—overcast from the shadows of rain clouds and small showers.

It's going to be nighttime soon, I stood up from leaning on a side of the bookshelf and search around the store.

I approach the entrance window and touch the glass with my right paw as I peek outside. The ground is fully covered with large fern, along with cars scattered around as usual, but what I'm glad is that no one's out there... for now.

I walk around the store, searching the bookshelves. I picked up a book that's called Survival Hacks Issue Two. "Ah yes... nice acronym you got there." I turned the pages quickly to find something that catches my eye. I stopped turning as I saw the page about making a gas mask from a bottle—canine version.

After learning on how to craft it, I continue searching for more. How to make a smoke bomb. Why would someone put a smoke bomb recipe in a survival book? Well, it sure hell is useful.

I read the directions carefully and summarised it: "Okay, so I mix gunpowder with sugar or any powder together and fill it in a pouch then put a fuse? Where the hell can I get a fuse?!" I grunted, but I don't have problems for the gunpowder—I have a small jar in my backpack I took from Brother's office back home.

Well, I guess I can just burn the top of the pouch—I'm not sure if it's a good idea but I guess I'll find out soon enough. I close the book and keep it in my backpack then search around the store for supplies.

I listen to the calm raindrops from the outside as I open the cashier's drawer, the drawer contains random junk and papers, but I found some of them useful. I pick up a roll of duct tape and an embroidered handkerchief.

I bring out my backpack and packed both of them inside then look at the MP3 player inside, I shut my eyes and take a deep sigh. My silenced pistol is holstered on the bag's bottle holder on my right side, the oil filter obviously can't fit in my pocket.

"Alright, I think that's enough for now. Let's go and rescue that poor wolf pup." I step out of the store cautiously then realised it's all clear. It's pretty misty out here, hell... it's even cold.

I just need to interrogate one of those bastards if I find one, it's the only way to know where Darwin is—I know he's alive, but he won't be without my help soon, unless he can take care of himself. The raindrops keep hitting my head, sadly, I don't have a hood—but I'm not complaining. The scent of wet grass and rain catches my nose as I wander the fields.

I've been walking straight for a while now in search for anyone, I ended up seeing old military vehicles and bodies scattered around the non-grassy area close to a diner—they're fully armoured wolves. "The hell happened here?" I asked. They're all male, they seem to be wearing the same black suits underneath their bloodstained armour, just like what Darwin usually wears! The sides of the military trucks have a white spray-painted logo of a simple wolf along with the acronym: P.A.C.C.

I take a closer look at the scene and entered the back of a military truck and gasped from what I found—four assault rifles lying around the seats.

"Holy crap! No one founded these yet? Nice." I picked up a rifle then took out the magazines from the rest and kept one in my pocket then the last two in my bag. I have this technique Brother taught me for a quicker reload, I taped two magazines together with my duct tape and snapped it back to my rifle—'Jungle style' he called it.