Chapter 2: Angel of Music?

Louise's POV

After the performance was over, Meg, Jules, and I found Christine in the chapel. I had wanted to let her know how proud I was of her. My little sister was a star. How could I not be proud?

(Louise's singing is in Italics, Christine's is in Bold, Meg's is in both, Jules's is underlined, )

Christine Christine

Where in the world have you been hiding?

Really you were perfect

We sat next to her. I saw that she had lit a candle for our father. I saw his picture, and I had to force myself not to stare. I had not been down here in many years. Christine came here all the time, but i couldn't bring myself to.

I only wish I knew your secret

Who is this new tutor?

"Meg," Christine said. "When your mother brought Louise and I here to live, when I would come down here to light a candle for my father, I heard a voice from above and in my dreams. You see when our father lay dying he promised he'd send us an angel. An angel of music."

I furrowed my brow. This was strange. Sure Christine was naiive in many ways, but I didn't think she would honestly believe an angel had come. I wanted to think she was joking, but nothing in her voice made it seem so.

"Christine," I asked nervously. "Do you think...do you think the spirit of our father is coaching you?" 

"Who else Louise?" she said "Who?" I saw Jules, and Meg. They both looked just as perplexed as I was.

Father once spoke of an angel

I used to dream he'd appear

Now as I sing I can sense him

And I know he's here

Here in the room he calls me softly

Somewhere inside hiding

Somehow I know he's always with me

He, the unseen genius

Angels didn't exist. There was no way she was serious. I approached the subject lightly.

Christine you must have been dreaming

Stories like this can't come true

Christine you're talking in riddles

And it's not like you

Angel of music, guide and guardian
Grant to me your glory

Who is this angel?

This

Angel of music, hide no longer

Secret and strange angel

He's with me even now

Your hands are cold

All around
​me

Your face, Christine, it's white!

It frightens
​me

Don't be frightened

I changed out of my costume after departing, and then met back up woth Jules. I was relieved to be done with the opera. But I had questions for my sister.

Jules and I were heading off when we bumped into someone.

"Sorry," Jules mubled. I looked up to see the face of Raoul looking down at me curiously.

"Sorry sir," I said. 

"Have we met?" he inquired.

"I believe we have," I said. He looked at me quizically for a moment, before finally speaking.

"Louise?"

"So you recognize me after all," I replied. 

"Forgive me Louise," Raoul said shaking his head. "It really has been so many years. You've become quite a dancer"

"I just do what I'm told to do," I said.

"Louise you really did well tonight," Jules said. I jumped a bit. I almost forgot my friend was with me

 "Oh, Raoul this is my friend Juliette." The pair shook hands.

"Louise has told me about you," Jules said.

"Has she?" Raoul said. He turned back to me. "I was going to see Christine care to come."

I nodded.

"I'll see you later Louise," Jules said. She wondered away, and Raoul and I headed to Christine's dressing room.