Chapter 3: Strange Voice

Louise's POV

We entered Christine's dressing room. My sister turned to look at us. I noticed a rose in her hand, a black ribbon around it's elegant stem. Probably from some admirer.

"Little Lotte let her mind wander," Raoul said. "Little Lotte thought am I fonder of dolls or of goblins or shoes."

"Raoul," Christine said with a smile.

"Or of riddles or frocks," I added.

"Those picnics in the attic," Christine said.

"Or of chocolates," Raoul said.

"Father playing the violin," I added. I could remember my father's playing like it was yesterday when in reality I hadn't heard him play in nine years.

"As we read to each other, dark stories of the north," said Raoul.

"No," Christine said. "What I love best Little Lotte said, is when I'm asleep in my bed, the angel of music sings songs in my head."

"You sang like an angel tonight," Raoul said. He turned to me and said. "And you Louise, you danced with the grace of a swan." I blushed slightly. I hated being complimented. I usually didn't deserve such praise. That was for people like Christine.

"As flattering as that may be Raoul," I said. "I believe you should focus your praise on other targets." He laughed at my comment.

"Father said, "When I'm in heaven, children, I will send the Angel of Music to you." Well, Father is dead, Raoul. And I have been visited by the Angel of Music," Christine said. Again, she brought this angel up. Angels weren't real. Our father just said that to comfort us in the wake of his passing. He wanted us to feel better. I had prayed for him to get better, and when god denied my prayers, I gave up on praying.

Now I didn't want to listen to more about angels or our father. He was dead. Christine may have thought I was over it, but the pain, like all grief one endures, never truly left me. It's there, but I keep it locked away, safe, where it can't hurt others around me. The pain is mine to bear. Mine alone.

"Oh no doubt," Raoul said in response to Christine's claim. "And has this angel visited you as well Louise." I shook my head, and forced myself to smile even though I was in no mood to do so.

"I'm afraid not," I said.

"Perhaps soon then," Raoul said. I doubted this, but I didn't voice this outloud. "Now we go to supper, he said to us."

"No, Raoul, the Angel of Music is very strict," Christine said. I raised on eyebrow at Christine. Was this an excuse to get out of having dinner? It seemed odd. She and Raoul were so close. I should be the one missing this. Not her.

"Than I shan't keep you up late," he said with a smile. 

"Raoul, no," she said.

"Christine you should celebrate," I told her. "This was your night."

"I'm sorry Louise," Christine said. "I can't."

Raoul seemed to not be listening to this. He headed off to order his carriage despite Christine's pleas. 

"I'll wait outside," I told her. Partially this was my way of keeping an eye on her. Something strange was going on, and I was going to find out what.

Standing outside my sister's dressing room, I stopped for a moment to refasten my shoes. When I stoo to look back at the door, I was shocked by a peculiar sight.

A hand, gloved in black leather reached around with a key, and turned the lock on Christine's door. It vanished quickly, taking the key with it. My brow furrowed.

"What the-?" I muttered. I went and tried the door knob, but the door was tightly locked. "What in tarnat-?" Before I finish my thought a voice from the dressing room cut off my words.

Insolent boy

This slave of fashion

Basking in your glory

My eyes widened. It was a man's voice. Soft, yet powerful and enough make me shake in my body. I panickly tried the knob again, but it wouldn't budge. 

Ignorant fool

This brave young suitor

Sharing in my triumph

This had to be the Angel she spoke of. But I knew better. This was no angel. It had to be a trick. Someone was messing with my little sister.

Angel I hear you

Speak I listen

Stay by my side

Guide me

Angel my soul was weak

Forgive me

Enter at last master.

Oh no. This was not good. What did this strange man want? I tried to call out to Christine, to ask her what in the world was going on, but before I could the man's voice reappeared.

Flattering child

You shall know me

See why in shadow I hide

So she'd never seen this man. Something about his voice made me freeze. I was both curious, concerned, angry, and frustrated all at once. I wanted to do something, but I found myself unable to move, and only able to listen as the man continued to sing.

Look at your face in the mirror

I am there inside

He was calling her to him. He was going to appear.

Angel of music guide and guardian

Grant to me your glory

Angel of Music

Hide no longer

Come to me, strange angel

I am your angel of music

Come to me angel of music

Then as if by a miracle, Raoul appeared.

"Christine," he banged on the door.

The man in her room continued to sing to her, and Raoul must have heard it to. AT that point, I managed to control my arms, and banged hard on the door, yelling my sisters name. But it was no use.

By the time we got the door open, my sister was gone. That man, her so called angel had taken her.