Chapter 4

We'd set up a viewing platform in the woods, surrounded by 25 titan dummies. I was wearing a fresh uniform and my 3DMG, and I'd held back from the main group to make sure they were there when I arrived. I shot through the forest, swinging from tree to tree to preserve gas. I finally grappled onto the platform and landed in front of my squad, "Good morning, everyone! You'll see that there are 25 titan dummies set up around this platform, and I'll be killing them all for you today. See you later!" 

Then I jumped off the platform and grappled to the nearest dummy, slashing cleanly through its nape. I slashed through another 5 napes before my blades dulled too much, and I threw my blades at the next dummy and switched to new ones just in time to slash its nape as well. I methodically worked through the dummies, finishing the demonstration in 20 minutes. I was on my last set of blades as I landed on the viewing platform and bowed. I sheathed my swords, looking at my entire squadron's shocked faces when I heard slow clapping behind me. I instantly pulled out my swords and whirled around to be met with a man I'd never seen before and my old squad, "Well done, Tamayo."

I cooly regarded him, this could only be Seamus, my replacement. I looked at Thomas, Max, Emma, Steph, and Emily over his shoulder, "Girls, has he been treating you properly?" 

They nodded, but I could see the anger in Stephs eyes, "When were you planning to tell us you were alive? You haven't been in your room for three weeks!"

 I sighed and sheathed my swords, "I was too busy looking after my squadmates." 

Wrong answer. Steph marched up to me, "WE'RE YOUR SQUADMATES! NOT ONE SINGLE NIGHT DID YOU SLEEP IN YOUR BED! I CHECKED EVERY NIGHT!" 

I blinked, "Steph, I don't know if you know this, but I was literally building a compound with them. I slept every three days since I was working all night to churn out enough planks for the walls to go up in time for winter. I'm only your squadmate for expeditions, and in three years, I won't even be doing that anymore. You're Oakley Squad now, and Sakai Squad is standing right behind me." 

Steph burst into tears and wrapped her arms around me, "I thought you died!" 

Oh shit. I hugged her as best I could with my maneuver gear on, "It's ok, Steph, you know I wouldn't let a measly little titan kill me." 

I glared at Seamus, he definitely would've known I was alive and well, but he clearly hadn't told his squad. I pulled away from Steph, carefully because I still had swords in my hands, and marched up to Seamus. I flicked the sword up to his throat, "Seamus, if you ever mislead them again, I'm going to do absolutely nothing against you, but I'll make sure you're never accepted into another squad again, that is, after I absorb your squad into mine. If you don't want to be forced to go rogue, you'll never tell your squad another lie or withhold any information." 

Anger flashed in Seamus's steely grey eyes, but he made no move against me, "Fine. Steph, I hope you're happy now. We're going back to HQ." 

Steph and the rest of Seamus's squad left and I rolled my eyes, trust Steph to be so trusting of her leader. That unearned faith in Seamus would be the death of her someday. "Sakai Squad, go back to the compound and set up your quirk demonstrations." 

I watched them run past me, and once they were out of sight, I threw myself at the titan dummies once again, tearing fresh holes in their napes until my blades dulled. I flew back to the compound and took off my 3DMG, hanging it on one of the 21 wall-mounted 3DMG racks. I walked into the courtyard and my squad nodded at me, they were ready. I'd devised a demonstration that would show each of their individual strengths, and now it was time to show off my superhuman squad to Erwin, Hanji, and Levi. Levi had already seen some of their abilities, but a little revision couldn't hurt.