Chapter 12

With a smile, I replied, "Tamayo Sakai, reporting for duty!" 

I heard a muffled crash, then the door was pulled open. Levi stood there, his eyes wide with shock, "I thought you were dead! We all did!" 

I rubbed the back of my head sheepishly, "Sorry for worrying you guys." 

Levi opened the door wider, allowing me access to his room, then sighed, "Nevermind that now, what happened?" 

We sat down and I spent the better part of an hour telling him what had happened since I was separated from the expedition, narrating my reunion with Thomas and our journey back to the Walls. Levi listened quietly and then, when I was finished, he stood up and pulled me into a rough hug, "Never scare me like that again, got it?" 

I smiled, "Sure thing, Heicho."

After a long night's sleep, Thomas and I were bundled into a meeting room. We recounted our various experiences and I was dismissed much earlier than Thomas, probably because I had much less to tell Erwin and Hanji, whose squad was back now. Levi squad was nowhere to be seen, and Levi somewhat sheepishly said, "I stayed behind in case there was any news. My squad went ahead without me, so your squad probably thinks you're dead." 

As we made our way to the stables to fetch our horses, an anguished scream reached my ears. I turned just in time to see Joel about to ram me, a pitchfork in his hands and aimed right at me. I managed to twist around to avoid most of the prongs, but one caught me in the side. He abandoned the pitchfork and pulled a pocketknife from his waistband, then began slashing at my arms, which were protecting my face. 

He only managed to land a few blows though, since Levi almost immediately pulled him off me, disarmed him, and had him in an arm-lock. Joel, having lost the ability to physically wound me, started screaming, "YOU PROMISED! YOU PROMISED YOU'D PROTECT HER!" 

My eyes widened, "I did! I pushed her out of the way of the titan's mouth, didn't I?" 

Levi shook his head, "The titan got both of you. Irene died almost instantly because her upper body completely detached and fell onto the ground, but the titan ran off with you." 

I felt sick to my stomach, and not because of the prong in my side. I'd genuinely believed that I'd protected her. Joel, ranting and raving, continued, "YOU BITCH! I TOLD YOU TO PROTECT HER AND YOU SAID YOU WOULD! YOU LIED TO ME!!! YOU LIED TO ME AND LET IRENE DIE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!!!" 

Then, a few guards came and relieved us of Joel, but he'd done enough damage. We pulled Hanji out of the meeting to let her tend to me and replace my clothes, and she returned once I was fully healed and dressed. For the second time within an hour, we headed towards the stables, and thankfully, this time there were no more interruptions.

We rode back to the farmhouse in relative silence, only breaking the quiet to communicate directions. However, once the farmhouse came into view, we almost instantly heard a shout of, "IT'S TAMAYO AND LEVI!!!" 

Strangely enough, it wasn't a member of my squad who spotted me, but Steph. Oakley squad, as well as Sakai squad, rushed out to greet me. Mina and Steph, who were running side-by-side, were the first to reach me. The moment I got off Whisper, I was already drowning in hugs. Steph began fussing over my face and making sure I wasn't hurt, all the while excitedly mumbling, "They told us you were dead! Like, can you believe that!?! You're clearly not dead and you're back! I knew you wouldn't let a pesky lil' titan take you down, girl!" 

Various other forms of affection were displayed within the next hour or so, from hugs from the girls to fist-pumps and high-fives from the guys. We all celebrated my return that night, and most of the legal-age adults got drunk. Levi, who apparently had a really high alcohol tolerance, and Petra helped me take Eld, Gunther, and Oluo to their rooms, and we were all in bed by 2 in the morning.