Chapter 13

By the time Hanji finished explaining my squadmate's unusual ability, said squadmate had already woken up. She was completely healed, but very lacking in the clothes department. Hanji graciously shrugged off her jacket and gave it to Tamayo, then tied the blanket around Tamayo's waist once she was standing. 

I'd heard the rumors about the titan in the training camp, we all had, but I hadn't expected the titan to be real, let alone be one of my squadmates! Tamayo was very quiet, then, "I suppose you're going to tell the rest of your squad now, aren't you?" 

She seemed extremely sad, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why, "Only if you let me. Even then I'd only tell Steph and Emily. Why are you so sad?" 

A hiccuping sob escaped her as tears started flowing, "Because you probably think that I'm a monster! With how slowly I age and my ability to turn into a titan, don't you think that I'm disgusting?!" 

I shook my head, then pulled her into a warm hug, "Of course not. You'll always be my little sister, no matter how long you live or how big you get when you're angry." 

Since she was so much shorter than me, her face rested in the crook of my neck and her tight grip barely reached the middle of my back. As Hanji gave me a soft smile and left, I wondered how such a small girl packed so much punch. Sure, she might be crying now, but when she bounces back, she'll hit you twice as hard. We may not be blood-related, but over time, we've grown into family.

-Tamayo pov-

Although I'd done my fair share of crying in the last few hours, this time was different. After hearing Seamus's words, I felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders as catharsis washed over me. I felt so safe in Seamus's arms, scratch that, I felt so safe in my brother's arms. I

t wasn't long before I was being paraded around and my rescue celebrated, but I felt the most relieved of all. Upon our return to the Farmhouse, we explained my ability to Steph and Emily. There had been some initial shock, but acceptance followed soon after. 

After some discussion, I decided something major, "I think Seamus proved himself today. He's a good leader and I can't help but want to be in his squad. So I propose this, Sakai squad and Oakley squad merge. I stay in charge of the superhumans and Seamus is in charge of everyone else. Is that agreeable to you?" 

Seamus, after a quick talk with his squad, agreed and we filed a squad merge request. I then explained my ability to the final member of Oakley squad, whose name was Jacob, and that was that. Jacob aside, my squad took the news pretty well, but Jacob freaked out. He began asking whether he should kill me or not and stopped treating me like a human being, so we filed a squad transfer on his behalf.

A week after sending in the request, Oakley squad and Sakai squad officially merged into the Meta Squad. Meta stood for metahuman, which 1-A said was a name for those with quirks back in their homeworld, so it was a little hint at the squad's power. Jacob and Irene's replacements were chosen carefully, and they went by Mariella aka Ella and Jay, both female. 

Ella was small, yet nimble and surprisingly fast, whereas Jay was more of a slow and steady powerhouse. They were pretty much opposites on fighting style and personality, yet they seemed to be best friends. Upon hearing about my ability, Ella simply said, "Whoah, you're really strong then." 

And Jay excitedly exclaimed, "That's so cool! We have a titan on our side! Hell yeah!" 

I welcomed them into our ragtag family with open arms and asked for the squad to take a day off, which Seamus allowed, and they all got to properly know each other. Everything was just fine until dinner. We were having steak since it was a special occasion, but the moment I saw the knife slide through the still bloody slab of meat, I ran from the room. 

Fear pulsed through me as I remembered the feeling of Joel's blade slicing through my flesh and the helplessness I felt when I realized I couldn't escape. In my hurry to rid my mind of the flashbacks, I tripped and fell onto the wall. The wall was icy cold, just like the wall in that room. Suddenly, the wall felt slick with blood as a thick, coppery scent hit my nose. I gagged as I slid down the wall, closing my eyes to help myself focus. 

I heard someone walk in, then stop in front of me. I opened my eyes and saw Joel crouching in front of me. I instantly tried to punch him, but he caught my fist in one hand. With shock and no small amount of relief, I realized that it was in fact, Levi. He simply sat down beside me and let me rest my head on his shoulder, and somehow, my fear melted away. 

Just as I began falling asleep, I heard his voice faintly murmur, "Don't worry, he can't hurt you anymore." 

I nodded, breathing in his clean scent as the tremors left my bones. About ten minutes later, he suddenly shifted. I snapped to alertness as he stood up, then gruffly said, "Come on, dinner's ready."

In the days after, I found that I could do training but absolutely couldn't stand the sight and smell of blood. It just reminded me too much of when it was streaming down my body in crimson rivulets, a fresh wave of blood following every slice. I was brought back to reality by Steph snapping her fingers right in front of my nose, "Did you hear anything I just said?" 

I shook my head and she sighed, "I said, 'Let's go shopping Tamayo!' Maybe we'll find something to help you with your zoning out problem as well!" 

Steph had taken to calling my new phobia a 'zoning out problem,' which somewhat amused me, "I don't think there's really much on the market for my zoning out problem." 

She shrugged, then grabbed my hand, "I don't know, but I have hope!"

It turned out her fragile hope was based entirely on a spiritual healer of sorts, who I begrudgingly agreed to see. She seemed rickety and old, yet I instantly felt drawn to her. She felt oddly familiar, yet I'd never seen her before in my life. 

She introduced herself as Ari and sat down opposite me. As she held my hand in hers, I gasped. Warmth rushed through me as my fear of blood disappeared and she stood up with a gentle smile. I grabbed her hand, "Was that a quirk?!" 

Her grey eyes widened, "I haven't heard that word in years!" 

It turned out there had been another set of about 10 quirk-users sent here about 800 years ago in this world's time. They too had suffered from slow-aging, but all except Ari had died in various fights or from illnesses. 

She'd kept to herself and scraped by as a healer, using her quirk which allowed her to erase people's fears, to earn money. I took her hand in mine, "We've got a whole class of students from Japan! Come with me and I'll show you!" 

She was shocked, and rightly so, "Really!?" 

I nodded, then began telling her all about 1-A. She packed her stuff in a hurry and we returned to the Meta squad with Ari in tow. I introduced her to everyone and they all took the news with varying levels of shock and excitement. Denki, who'd managed to keep his phone intact and charged, showed Ari a few pictures of Japan. She was so excited to learn about the developments in the past 16 or so years that she clutched it to her chest happily, "My my! The world's come so far in such a short time!" 

We welcomed her into the Meta squad with open arms, but even as calm washed over us, I faintly smelled something that made my gut clench.

It was blood.