Chapter 5: Good or Bad?

A few days later, Will and Alyss were both summoned to Castle Araluen, without being told why. This wasn't too much of a surprise, considering that Will's report had reached Horace and Cassandra just days before. And during those few days alone, two more buildings had burned down in southern Araluen, with even more deaths reported. The arsonists were striking faster and harder, burning buildings more often and killing more people in the flames. It was inevitable that they would be called to Araluen to make plans on how to deal with this string of crimes.

As Will and Alyss entered through the double doors at Castle Araluen to greet the King, a hush fell over them both and everyone else in the room. It had been a full year now since Duncan had gotten sick, but it still shocked Will every time he saw how pale and thin he had become. Just a year ago he had been perfectly healthy, in prime shape, and planning to rule for another ten years at least. But now, Cassandra had taken over as Princess Regent, and Duncan only appeared for important events and special gatherings, with her at his right hand. He was so sick now that he struggled to remember people and things he had known his entire life. His mind wandered so much that he usually wasn't able to function, but today he seemed well enough to greet everyone as they arrived. 

He and Alyss stepped up to the base of his throne and bowed low. "Your Majesty, it's good to see you up and around," Alyss greeted him cheerfully.

Will nodded in agreement. "Your Majesty, Evanlyn," he bowed to them both.

She rolled her eyes at him. "Come on, Will, none of that. You know better."

He smiled. "I should at least try to show some decorum, Evanlyn, especially in front of the King."

The King's voice was soft, uncertain. He wore proper formal robes, his hair only a bit disheveled, but he would have looked normal if he weren't so slumped over and shakey. Despite his weakness, he smiled at Will with a hint of the strength he used to have. "She's right, Will, and you, Alyss, enough of that. It's good to see the both of you, thank you for coming here on such short notice. I..." he trailed off and gently put his hand over Cassandra's. The glow in his eyes dimmed as his face fell. "She'll fill you in on the situation, I must go rest." He abruptly rose from his chair, stiff as a board and a faraway look in his eyes. He turned and left the hall, instantly accompanied by servants as they helped him find his way.

Cassandra sighed softly, then smiled and gestured to both of them to come and sit with her in chairs next to the throne. "He wanted to see you all today. He's desperate to do normal things, but he forgets what's going on and can't finish them. It's difficult to watch, but... it makes him happy." She bit her lip, swiping her hair out of her face. The pain in her voice was evident. It can't be easy to see your father wither away like this, Will thought.

Alyss reached out and grabbed her hand. "I'm sorry, Cassandra. You know you can always call on me for anything, anything at all."

Cassandra squeezed her hand. "Thank you, Alyss, and I already have. I fear I'm taking advantage of you at this point, even if you are one of my most trusted advisors."

"I'll always be happy to help, don't worry."

Cassandra turned to Will, who had been watching their exchange from the side. "Will, you're rather quiet, everything alright?"

He glanced uncertainly at Alyss, and she nodded. "Evanlyn, we have something really, really important to tell you." He took a deep breath, hesitating.

She watched them both warily. "Is it good or bad? I genuinely can't tell, Will, you look terrified and excited all at once."

"It's good," Alyss assured her, and then she nudged Will to keep going. He gulped once, and then said it. "We're going to have a baby. Alyss is - "