⧖ twelve ⧗

February, 2013

❝ February, 2013 ❞

Phoebe glances over her outfit in the mirror approvingly, adjusting the sash on the back of her red dress while debating whether to borrow a pair of shoes from Rosalie or Kate. Jasper, dressed sharply in a nice suit, steps into their shared bedroom and frowns as he sees that she's nearly ready, immediately assuming someone spoiled the surprise date he planned.

"Who told you?" He questions, his frown being replaced with a chuckle as she spins on her heel to allow her dress to flare out.

"Emmett," she answers honestly. "Was I not supposed to know?"

"Not exactly," he admits. "It was meant to be a secret."

"Why? Are you embarrassed?" Phoebe teases, stepping closer and straightening his tie. "I think it's nice you and your brothers have your own tradition for the holiday, though you're probably a little overdressed."

Phoebe genuinely doesn't have a clue as to what Jasper truly had planned and he suppresses a groan as he realizes this and wonders what convoluted story Emmett could have came up with to keep her in the dark. Not wanting to ruin her happiness with his soiled mood, he compliments her outfit and kisses her forehead.

"Where are you off to tonight?"

"Tanya and I are going to the theater!" Phoebe says, practically bouncing up and down in her excitement. "I asked Alice to join us, but she kept trying to convince me to stay home. Weird, right?"

"So weird," Jasper agrees with a grin.

"Maybe she'll change her mind before we leave," she hopes, not wanting to leave the only other single vampire alone in the house full of couples. Even Renesmee was out tonight, spending time with a boy simply to spite her father. "I should go see if Tanya is ready."

Wriggling out of Jasper's grasp, Phoebe leaves their room in search of Tanya, gasping dramatically when she finds her lounging in her bed and still in pajamas.

"Why aren't you ready?" She demands, stalking over to stand in front of the television playing Gossip Girl reruns. "We can't abandon our reservations."

"You have Jasper," Tanya argues, craning her neck to see around her. "Make him go and keep you company."

"Nonsense! Boys are overrated," Phoebe states, moving to her closet and throwing the first dress she finds at the stubborn girl. "Get dressed and meet me at the front door in ten minutes."

When she doesn't budge and continues to stare resolutely at the show, Phoebe drops onto the bed next to her and pleads.

"Pleeeease, Tanya!" She whines, throwing her head in Tanya's lap. "This tradition is the very essence of the Single Sister Squad! You'll be destroying our reputation."

"You're not single anymore," she points out.

"You're missing the point," Phoebe huffs. "Please. Please. Please. Ple-"

"Alright!" Tanya caves, pushing her to the floor. Despite the insults she adds, Phoebe knows she's excited about the night too. "Go piss off Edward or something while I get ready."

Phoebe claps her hands together excitedly and hurries out of the room before she can change her mind. It takes Tanya less than the agreed ten minutes to get ready, and she's by the front door waiting for Phoebe as Jasper tells her goodbye.

"Tell me all about it when you get back," he says, tugging her to his chest.

"I will," she promises. "Have fun with Emmett and Edwin."

Jasper smiles and kisses her goodbye, masking his own disappointment as the ring in his pocket remains tucked away for another day. Emmett comes down the hallway just as the door closes behind them, opening his mouth to speak, but Jasper beats him to it as he glares at the broader vampire.

"You told her we go to strip clubs every Valentine's Day?"

"She asked why you were getting ready and I panicked!"

"You're unbelievable." Jasper groans and drops his head into his hands. "I give up."

"It's not that hard to ask a question," Emmett chastises as he latches onto Jasper's elbow and guides him to the living room where the rest of the family is. Pushing his brother into an empty spot on the couch next to Esme, he continues. "You're overthinking it."

"Is that why Rose said no to your first three proposals?"

Not deterred by the snide comment, he pulls Edward from a recliner and to his feet. "Just watch how easy it is. I'll be Jasper and Edward will be Phoebe."

Before anyone can protest, Emmett gets down on one knee and holds a tv remote up to a grimacing Edward to symbolize a ring.

"Darling," he drawls in a mocking Southern accent. Jasper scoffs and stands to leave, but Alice grabs his wrist and tugs him back down. "Will you be the yee to my haw?"

"I would rather take my chances with the Volturi again."

Bella sighs and launches her own engagement ring at the back of her husband's head. "You're supposed to be helping, dipshit!"

"I'm doing my best," he huffs indignantly. Why don't you get up here and do it then?"

"You pouted for six months the last time I accepted someone else's proposal."

"Because you and Alice actually went to Vegas and got married!"

"And hopefully with a different response than that, it's just that easy to pop the question!" Emmett concludes his little show, standing back up and taking a bow as he continues with the Southern accent. "You'll be the rootinest tootinest couple the west has ever seen!"

When Jasper stands again and Alice doesn't stop him, Emmett flees the room with a giddy grin, knowing Esme wouldn't approve of them fighting indoors. Jasper moves to follow him to the backyard, but Garrett speaks up and distracts him.

"And you better do it soon before she follows in Kate's footsteps," he chimes in as he and Kate head towards the front door. "She bought her own ring and I didn't find out until two weeks later when people showed up for the surprise engagement party she threw us."

"Isn't giving him advice when you're against it kind of contradictory?" Rosalie questions.

"Maybe," he agrees with a shrug, holding the door open for Kate. "But Phoebe is my best friend. She deserves the world, even if it's coming from a cowboy."

"It could be worse," Carmen points out. "At least he's not a British cowboy."