THIRTY FIVE

"So what are we up to this weekend then?" Jesse asked me.
He had his arm draped around me as we entered school grounds.
I shrugged. "I don't know. What's our options?"
"We could go to yet another scruffy flat party or we could -" Jesse gazed into the distance as his sentence trailed off. "Who the fuck is that?"

I looked at where Jesse was pointing.
He was pointing directly at Eden, who was accompanied by a girl.
She had hip length red hair, ridiculously long eyelashes, extreme fake tan and wore a skirt that showed her ass cheeks.

"I have absolutely zero idea." I said.
And then we watched as they kissed.
"What the actual fuck?" Jesse muttered and I couldn't help but chuckle.
"Well, it's nice he has someone." I shrugged.
"Yeah, but... is he having a breakdown? She isn't his type, is she?"
"Hey, you don't know Eden." I tried to defend him.
"Well, you do. And is she his type?" Jesse questioned.
"No. No, she's not." I looked at Jesse's smug face about being right. "Come on, let's go over."

Jesse and I walked over and watched Eden stand awkwardly.
"Hey." I smiled as we reached them.
"Hey." Eden sounded awkward as well.
"Oh, hi! I'm Coco." The red-head jumped at us.
"Coco? Is that an actual name?" Jesse smirked and I elbowed him in the ribs.
"It's nice to meet you. I'm Cova." I smiled at her in a friendly manner.
Her eyebrows raised. "Cova? I've heard so much about you. You don't look like I thought you would." She giggled to herself.
"Why? What did you think she'd look like?" Jesse quizzed and I scowled at him again.
"I don't know. More unstable, I guess. Or depressed. But you look normal." She grinned.
I was ready to pounce with my feeling of offence but it was clear - even to me - that this girl meant no harm with her words.
She didn't seem to have many brain cells by the way she spoke so I brushed it off.
"Anyway, I've got to go, honey." She smiled. She pulled Eden - who hadn't spoken the entire time - in for a kiss and planted a red lipstick mark on his pale cheek.
"Yeah, see you."

The three of us who remained were silent for a few second as we watched Coco bounce off in her tapping heels.

"Well, she's not your type, is she?" Jesse scoffed.
Eden raised his eyebrows. "And what is my type?"
Jesse shrugged. "Big glasses, goofy haircut and a boring personality?"
"Wow. I thought you'd be more original than taking a dig at me being a nerd, but never mind."
"I guess I'm uninventive. Anyway, I'll see you later, Cove." Jesse pulled me in for a kiss and I watched Eden intentionally look away.

Eden and I stood silent this time before I spoke.
"So... Coco?"
Eden nodded. "I've been seeing her for a few weeks."
"I thought we were supposed to be friends. Why didn't you tell me?"
"You've been so preoccupied with Jesse that I couldn't have even if I intended to." Eden looked hurt and I felt guilty.
"I'm sorry. I just... what's going on there? Jesse was right, you have to admit it. She doesn't seem like your type. Is it -"
Eden cut me off. "Cova, I'm not speaking to you about this, okay? As far as I'm aware, it's not your business who is and who isn't my type, right?"
"Right." I agreed awkwardly. I felt completely taken aback and slightly hurt as I watched Eden storm off towards the school.

The day went fast.
Jesse didn't show up to a couple of the lessons, I managed to sit with Dani at lunchtime without her unfortunate friends voicing their disapproval and Eden didn't speak to me.

Asha and I walked out of school together at the end of the day.
She was telling me all about this new boy she'd met who had twenty-three tattoos and a flashy car because he sold weed when I watched her sentence her abruptly stop.
"What the fuck is that about?" She asked in a confused tone.
She was looking over at Coco who'd met Eden from school and were kissing passionately beside the car park.
"Don't ask. I have no fucking idea."