Part 1~It Began with a Rescue

I don't know who this cutie is but he can play Ren for my story! ^^ He's even dressed the way I imagined Ren!

~~~~

He stares at the carnage in front of him.

Bodies, everywhere, all the members of the Slayer cult, dead and bleeding on uneven debris after the ground shook violently.

His eyes water and he doesn't know if he's crying or not- this wasn't supposed to happen... it wasn't supposed to happen like this.

Kane wins.

He wins.

And that leaves them with a pile of dead bodies, both cult members and civilians. He wants to scream. But his throat burns from all the dust and smoke still floating around.

Then something catches his slanted eyes and he stopes hyperventilating for a moment. A body- it moved, he scrounges over fallen debris and reaches the limp, groaning figure of a thin girl, her dark hair matted to her face with blood and dirt and she's practically yellow, her lips blackening. He reaches her, she's breathing - good god... she's alive - but she won't be for long.

Police sirens are coming closer. He shudders and lifts her gently with shaking fingers. He needs to get her out of here. He needs to get out of here.

He lifts her on his back, she groans, he's aware of the blood seeping through her shirt into his back. He bites back a shudder and runs out of the scene as fast as he can without passing out or dropping her, he takes a back ally and weaves down the side dirt streets. The girl's breaths are labored against his neck, he knows his face is a mess of tears and dirt.

This wasn't supposed to happen. It wasn't. Why had he let this happen? He's planned and worked and ironed every angle he could think of - Harnanz even said that -

"Ren? Ren, come in Ren - where - where are you?" Diana's voice crackles in his ear.

He stops behind a secluded fence and carefully puts the breathing girl down, he checks her pulse - weakening. He needs to get her help - fast.

"Behind Barnes - Glen and West. I have an injured civilian, bleeding side - broken ribs probably - get here. Now." He coughs at the end and the girl stirs. His slanted eyes bug when she tilts to the side and almost face plants into the asphalt.

"Hey - hey - you awake Miss?" His throat scratches uncomfortably when he speaks.

She flickers her eyes open - they're unfocused for a moment - "Where - Who - "

"I'm gonna get you some help -don't worry - just - just hang on. Ok?" He sounds desperate.

She swallows and grimaces,"Why are you - ?"

He sets her firmly as she slouches again. "Common decency. Just hang on Ok. Please, just - "

"Ren. Back road. Hurry." Diana's voice crackles again and he lets out a hard breath.

"Let's go-"

She doesn't answer. He panics and lifts her carefully just as Diana rolls in and throws open the door - "Ren what are you - "

"No time, just get her to a hospital."

The limp girl mutters something against his neck. He doesn't understand. "Just make sure she lives." He says miserably. Make sure at least somebody gets saved from this atrocious mess he's caused.

Diana understands. She always understands.

Ren watches as she places the girl gently in the back seat of the car.

"We'll let you know after she's checked in. What are you going to do?" Diana asks as she gets back into the front seat.

Ren shakes his long haired head - "I'm heading back to regroup - Hernanz is probably pissed and..."

She gives him a sympathetic look. "Good luck."

He wants to go home.

"It wasn't your fault Ren - stop blaming yourself." She says with a meaningful look then drives off.

Yah - and he wasn't the son of a sick psychopath.