Sick

The pill worked again. When Camila returned to find me laying on my back on the sofa, staring up at the ceiling through hooded eyes, she tried to wake me up, and then, though I couldn't understand the words she said, it seemed she changed her mind and climbed onto me, cuddling up and eventually falling asleep. Her pressure along my body and the fact that I could press kisses over her whenever I pleased throughout the night had me ecstatic. Blu, it seems, is a miracle drug. With this in mind, it's the first thing I reach for when Camila leaves again. It's all I really think about anymore. I don't have much else to consume my mind, though, so I consider it reasonable.

I take the pill quickly and head into the back room, leaving on the show that started playing immediately—though I don't pay it much attention—as I wait for the effects to set in. I wait, and wait, and wait, but nothing seems to happen. I can't have developed a tolerance that quickly, right? Nothing happens until I stand and am hit with a sudden wave of dizziness beyond the level I might usually experience. So, something has taken hold.

I head into the kitchen for a bottle of water and am surprised when I hear moans coming from the back room. My cheeks heat as I reenter the room, and the moment I see the screen, my lip draws between my teeth as said heat rushes down to my center. Unabashed porn is playing on the screen—unusual for what had seemed such a casual show—and it has a much larger effect on me than usual. I change the channel, but the feeling doesn't subside, instead building within me.

The moment I hear Camila's muffled voice outside an hour or so later, I scramble for the door, practically throwing myself upon her regardless of the fact that she's currently in deep conversation with the other women on her team. I distantly hear the clicking of cameras as I press my lips hungrily against hers, but it's nothing over the thumping of my heart in my ears.

"What the— Y/n, what—" she stammers into the kiss, but I don't let up. My body is on fire and I need her to put it out, preferably after letting it build into a crescendo.

"I need you," I whisper, hands moving around to lay behind her neck, "Please."

"Get back on the bus," she orders, and I gulp at her tone. It's impossible to tell whether she's angry or feeling the same way I am. To be safe, I turn and scurry back up the steps.

Waiting for her to follow, I perch myself on the edge of the sofa, scared to sit too far back lest the pressure of merely sitting becomes too much. I feel as though I've skipped all the prior steps of the high and crashed right into the last: heightened, desperate sensitivity. I awkwardly smile at each of the others as they enter the bus, frowning slightly when Larsen shoots me a wink. My heel taps rapidly against the floor with anxious anticipation. When I see her face in the light of the bus, I freeze.

"What is wrong with you?" She asks, her voice low and quiet. I cast my eyes down. "I mean, seriously, Y/n, what's going on? You've been acting so strangely."

My eyes widen and I quickly shake my head. "Nothing, I'm fine."

She squints, and I can tell she doesn't believe me. If I could just push down the still-rising heat in my core, maybe I'd be able to focus on putting on a credible act. I used to be so good at it.

"Are you sick?" She asks, and I'm relieved to find that she sounds more concerned than pissed off. Still, I shake my head once more. She sighs and sits beside me, hand landing on my thigh as she rubs what are supposed to be soothing circles on the inside, though they only make my sharply inhale in an effort to compose myself. She scans my face intently and I have to look away lest I pounce again. "Tell me what's wrong, baby."

My voice is a forced whisper. "I need you." And it's the truth. The reason for my strange behavior, the reason I'm so pent up, the reason I'm taking again is because I need her, and this is supposed to bring her back. "Please."

She sighs, but leans in to latch her lips on the spot right behind my ear than never fails to drive me crazy, her hand slowly sliding further up my thigh. I bite my lip to muffle the moan that makes its way through me. Before long, she lifts me from the seat and leads me to our bunk. I can't withhold the broad grin that spreads across my face, nor the childish giggle that bubbles up.

...

"Yeah, it was almost too strong. You should've heard 'em." Larsen's voice is muffled outside the bus, but I can still hear him clearly. Camila and the other women have gone out for a girly day before the show while, still believing I'm sick, she told me to stay back with Larsen and his bandmates and spend the day relaxing. The other boys are in the back watching some dumb horror movie while I sit in the front sitting area, bored out of my mind. To fill the emptiness of the day, I managed to scramble together some paper and pens to draw, which is what I've been doing for the past hour or so. I've filed a page and a half with doodles, most of them relating to Camila in one way or another. Larsen's conversation with whoever is on the phone serves as a little entertainment and, while I shouldn't be eavesdropping, I figure he should've moved further away if he really didn't want to be heard. "Yeah, man, I'll let you know." He laughs. "This is gonna be fun."

When he returns to the bus, I quickly pick up scribbling once more, not realizing I'd stopped to pay attention fully to his voice. I flinch when something drops onto the table when he passes, frowning when I realize it's another small white bag. Looking up, I cringe at his smirk, though he only winks before continuing back to his friends. I wait until the door is shut before I reach out for the bag, peering inside to find four more small pills, each light blue in color. With a small huff, I set my pen down and head to the bathroom, feeling around for the other bag. All I find is an empty bag—I hadn't even realized I'd taken the last one—so I throw it away before I slot the new one in its place. And just like that, he's my new Zach.

I don't know why this one was so hard to get out of my brain and into words, but here it is at last. Thoughts on this chapter?